Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cheap way to test out if motherboards are repairable?

• Please log in to reply

ThunderT

ThunderT

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
I'm looking for some advice.

I have 2 very lightly used MSI K8N Neo3-F motherboards with the NForce4-4x chipset. I installed them successfully in a problem machine, and got everything to run. The problems (as listed here) happened, so I had to replace the motherboard because only the fans spin, but there is no POST.

I would like to know if there is any way to test if the motherboards are repairable without having a technician charging me big $$ to test them out. The problem is that I don't have spare socket 754 CPU's lying around, and also I don't have the equipment nor, more importantly, the expertise to diagnose what is precisely causing a problem with the motherboards.

If nothing else, I'm thinking the motherboards are worth something to somebody, rather than end up at a computer junkyard. Are there places where I can "borrow" a CPU and a stick of RAM, or even better, places that will pay $ for a damaged motherboard?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
As a general rule, motherboards are not repairable, it often works out far cheaper just to buy a new one.

Most of the bits on the back - parallel, serial, USB, Firewire, LAN, graphics, sound - can be replaced with separate cards should they fail.

Best thing to do is take the boards to a local computer shop who should be able to help and tell you whether the boards are usable or not. They'll often do this by swapping bits out.