Some initial information first:
1) I haven't been reconfiguring anything or installing any new hardware prior to having this issue.
2) I am using a Compaq 7500 Pentium 4 processor. Sound drivers and mixing devices, etc. came pre-installed on my comp. SoundMAX is running on my system.
3) If I go to "Sounds and Audio Devices" in the Control Panel, under the "Volume" tab it says that "No Audio devices are available" and it is greyed out. Under the "Audio" tab, the Sound Playback "Default Device" pull-down menu says "no playback devices" and is greyed out.
4) The "Add Hardware Wizard" in the Control Panel shows all devices are installed and working properly.
5) The "Device Manager" shows everything enabled and running.
6) System MIDI sounds appear to be working, but all other sounds are not.
I'm having the same problem that was addressed in this thread:
I have followed the step-by-step instructions illustrated in that thread with no resolution. (That person was using a different brand of comp, so the link doesn't apply in my case.) Incidentally, I have Googled the error message. The issue was mentioned in other tech-support forums, but I didn't see any solutions posted. Please help!
Thanks in advance!