Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound: No Active Mixer Devices Available

• Please log in to reply

cmdunn1972

cmdunn1972

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Please :tazz: !

Some initial information first:

1) I haven't been reconfiguring anything or installing any new hardware prior to having this issue.

2) I am using a Compaq 7500 Pentium 4 processor. Sound drivers and mixing devices, etc. came pre-installed on my comp. SoundMAX is running on my system.

3) If I go to "Sounds and Audio Devices" in the Control Panel, under the "Volume" tab it says that "No Audio devices are available" and it is greyed out. Under the "Audio" tab, the Sound Playback "Default Device" pull-down menu says "no playback devices" and is greyed out.

4) The "Add Hardware Wizard" in the Control Panel shows all devices are installed and working properly.

5) The "Device Manager" shows everything enabled and running.

6) System MIDI sounds appear to be working, but all other sounds are not.

I'm having the same problem that was addressed in this thread:

http://www.geekstogo...und-t72678.html

I have followed the step-by-step instructions illustrated in that thread with no resolution. (That person was using a different brand of comp, so the link doesn't apply in my case.) Incidentally, I have Googled the error message. The issue was mentioned in other tech-support forums, but I didn't see any solutions posted. Please help!

Thanks in advance! :)

Advertisements

cmdunn1972

cmdunn1972

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Please help! I'm still having issues. :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have the motherboard CD re-install the sound drivers from there

If not

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on right for multimedia / audio adapter

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable driver for your Operating System

If you are unable to find it, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

Re-installing the drivers will usually resolve this

Device manager gets it wrong sometimes

cmdunn1972

cmdunn1972

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks! I'll try this first, see where it takes me, and get back with you if this hasn't resolved the issue. :tazz:

cmdunn1972

cmdunn1972

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

If you have the motherboard CD re-install the sound drivers from there

If not

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on right for multimedia / audio adapter

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable driver for your Operating System

If you are unable to find it, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything
Re-installing the drivers will usually resolve this

Device manager gets it wrong sometimes

Thanks, Keith, for your offer to help. Volume control and sound are now working properly, and I'll let you know what I did in case anyone else has similar issues:

1) In the Control Panel, I opened the Add Hardware wizard.

2) I clicked "Next" through the dialogue boxes until I came to the query,"Is the Hardware Connected?" I clicked "Yes" and "Next".

3) The next choice was a list of hardware. I scrolled to the bottom of the list and chose, "Add a New Hardware Device" then clicked "Next".

4) The dialogue box gave me the option of either searching automatically for the device through the wizard or using the Advanced option and looking for the device myself. I chose the "Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced)" option and clicked "Next".

5) In the next step of the dialogue box, I was presented with a list of types of hardware devices from which to choose. I chose "Sound, Video, and Game Controllers" and clicked "Next".

6) The last dialogue box let me chose which specific device from which to chose. The left column shows a list of manufacturers, and the right column shows models. I left the default in the left column as "Standard System Devices" and chose "Media Control Devices" from the right column. I then clicked "Next".

7) I clicked "Next" again to begin the install. Follwing installation, the sound worked fine and the volume control worked again with no error messages.

As an aside, I ran a scan using Lavasoft AdAware (free version) and cleared my hard drive of any malware.

Again, thanks again for your help. :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know the sound is OK now

Downloaders

Downloaders

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Had this problem too, and just wanted to say that it worked also for me.

Just wanted to say thank you.

I registered only to say this, just for the reason that everywhere are soluions for this problem, but none of them worked, so if someone has the same problem, he can know that it worked for me too, and try this solution first before reading endless useless posts like me :whistling: