Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Partition went missing and unformat

• Please log in to reply

Pil

Pil

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all,

I'm using WIN XP, SP1. I have 2 HDD 40GB (master)& 120GB (slave)
At master i hv C partition holding the win xp system with 10 gb space, while the other is K partition with 30gb space. Using FAT32 system files

I totally unaware what have i done until its too late. ( I din remember messing any system files or system , only aware of the problem when explorer slow listing , or stop responding. What happen now is, the K partition is now unformat situation. Its there anyway i can restore it back to normal FAT32 without losing the data inside? Or is there any ways to retrieve the data out?

Please advise, i've been spending like days to restore it. However, using 3rd party soft ware like Stellar Pheonix i found in download.com found the files is still intact but got a mismatch in FAT copies.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Have you tried using a linux live cd (slax, ubunto anything you want just google them to find one and download it use a download manager like leechget they are quite large files) linux can often see and use the files that windows cant in partitions gone wrong, sometimes works sometimes doesnt but its worth a try.

Pil

Pil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Sorry, i dun hv any linux stuff around me.

However i stumble across this
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;247575

tried it, but still not working.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You could download it.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
http://slax.linux-live.org/ slax is a small one if you dont have a fast internet connection but it comes with everything you need to give it a try just burn the iso to a disk and reboot the machine making sure you have boot from cd enabled in bios.