Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Another Hard Drive Problem!

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Right so heres the siuation, i have 2 hard drives, 1 x 40Gb and 1 x 160Gb. i was running xp off the 40Gb HDD but recently decided to format it and start again. I moved all files and folders that i wanted to keep to the 160Gb HDD so i wouldnt have to dwnload/write again.
The problem is that after reloading windows, the 160Gb HDD does not show on My Computer but i can see it on Device Manager. I really dont want to format the drive and lose all my stuff so is there anying i can do to retrieve the files, either through windows itself or linux cd??

Any help would be greatly appriciated

Edited by bmd, 20 November 2005 - 01:35 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You need to have reinstalled Windows wtih at least Service Pack 1. Otherwise Windows caps out at 137Gb and for reasons I won't go into here, won't see anything bigger than that.

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I hope that you haven't reformatted the 40 gig drive yet! If you haven't, put it back in in the master position and copy an image of the old drive to the new, larger one. You will need software from the new drive mfr.. If you don't have it on a CD that came with the drive, you can DL it from the maker's website. You will need to format the new drive again, backing up your files yet again if you removed them, and make a drive to drive copy. Because your new drive will have all the Windows updates and service packs, it should have no trouble being recognized by Windows.