Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop issues (cpu id and cpu type are different)

• Please log in to reply

alfista

alfista

• Pip
  • 6 posts
:tazz: Hi everyone

my first post here. Well I'll get straight to the problem maybe.

(I have updated the subject so the new issue is explained further down and my english isn't all that good cause I'm swedish so don't laugh :) )

I bought my laptop last year. A Fujitsu siemens amilo k7600. And i thought that it performed badly almost from the start. The performance was ok, but I expected more... Anyhow, I bought a Wireless card to it (a d-link dwl-g650 54 MBit) and as soon i inserted it to the laptop it started to perform extreamly slowly, and if I used something in the USB ports the performance would be even worse...

I didnt use the wireless posibilities that much, cause of the lack of performance. Anyhow this got worse cause i often would have the laptop on for a great deal of time with software like bitlord. After a while the performance got even worse and bluescreens started apearing and the laptop could just turn itself without notice. I thought that this could be a virus so I searched the harddrive for viruses and spyware but nothing. I installed XP several times and i would get some performance back at the beginging, however after a short while the laptop would start to perform badly again...

what do you guys think this is?? I would realy apriciate your help..

is there any good software that can check these kinds of errors?

Edited by alfista, 28 November 2005 - 08:48 AM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Memory for laptops is pretty expensive so they often come equipped with less than adequite memory. Open Task Manager and compare your memory commitment to the physical memory. You should have about 25% more physical memory than your commitment, absolute minimum. If you're running heavy applications, you should have twice as much.

alfista

alfista

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
My laptop has an AMD XP-M 2800+ processor and 512Mb RAM... The performance gets horrible and even the mouse movements are laging... I dunno if the memory thingy would help but ill try that... however i suspect that the memory could be damaged or something.. The computer can get pretty hot sometimes...

alfista

alfista

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
doesn't any1 have any sugestions... I dunno what to do... It is awfully slow...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
could you do a couple of things for us?

first
can you download everest home edition and post the log from it
http://www.lavalys.c...cts.php?lang=en

second
run this program to test your memory
http://www.memtest86.com/

third
after using the computer for a while...and after putting some load on the system....reboot it and enter your bios setup (usually by pressing either del or f2 during boot) and look for the PC health section (or something to that effect) and post the temps and voltages shown in that screen

alfista

alfista

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
the laptop has taken a turn to the worse.. Im gonna install XP all over again and format the harddrive.. After that I'm gonna try those software and post the logs. However Im having trubbel installing XP with my Fujitsu siemens windows dvd... Don't wanna download an ilegal version yet :tazz:

alfista

alfista

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I managed to install xp now and the system seems to be working fine... I have installed the everest software and i have attached the report... One thing that cought my eye is that the cpu name and type are different... how can I change this?? I do not know why these to differ... help me please :tazz: There should be a amd XP-m 2800 in the laptop and not 3000....Attached File  Report.txt   18.82KB   198 downloads

alfista

alfista

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
anyone???

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The cpu id is taken from the data on the cpu which tells the computer what it should be, the speed it says it is, is the actuall speed it measured it performed at and labled appropriate to the speed it detected, i wouldnt complain your cpu is probably just running a little fast which is no bad thing.
Thats how it usually works anyway it could just be a fault in the speed detection as well run a program called cpu-z if you want to double check its a very reliable program, also laptops often throw up odd things when a progrma tries to detect the system properties laptops are all configured slightly differently when compared to a pc and the hardware is very different as well.

Dont worry about it.