Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

right click Freeze

• Please log in to reply

jedgxe

jedgxe

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello to all Geeks;
This is my first time posting at geekstogo. If I go into start>my computer and right click on any drive letter, or (left click on the file menu),the right click menu or (file menu) will not come up, and everything will freeze. at which point the only thing I can do is turn off the machine using the power button, and then restart it. After restart I can right click on anything else and get the menu. problem only seems to be within the "my computer' window. I don't know when this problem began, because I don't right click in "my computer" very often. I first noticed the problem after running all the required anti-spy and trojan scans for posting an HJT log (which I haven't posted yet). Other problems that may or may not be related are; sometimes when left clicking it will respond as if it was a double click. the mouse also has forward and back buttons used to go forward and back between pages. These buttons sometimes also respond as if they were hit twice when they were only hit once.The reason I wanted to post an HJT log in the first place was that some web pages load very slowly while others load very fast.

Advertisements

jedgxe

jedgxe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I resolved the right click problem by using system restore. I used a restore point dated just before I did all the spyware/trojan scanning. I'll try all the scans again, but this time I'll look a closer look at the stuff that will be deleted by the scanner programs.

Edited by jedgxe, 20 November 2005 - 06:45 PM.

jedgxe

jedgxe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
after system restore, I had to re-install the ewido security suite 3.5. At this point my right click problem in "my computer" came back. Turned out that if I right click on the ewido tray icon, "shutdown guard" first, then I can right click in "my computer".

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
jedgxe...

Good information and good troubleshooting...thank you for posting your "fix".

wannabe1