Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sony Infected Cd's

• Please log in to reply

AnnoyedPCuser

AnnoyedPCuser

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Im not sure if this is the correct forum to post in but please forgive me if it isnt.

I am sharing this with you all because like myself, a lot of people have no clue of what is going on with sony cd's until they find out that their computers have been infected. On friday I had listened to 3 new cds that I bought on my pc and later that night my microsoft antispyware did its daily routine check and it picked up on something called ROOTKIT. Being the pc dummy that I am, I had no clue what rootkit was so Microsoft provided me with the details stating that it was something which was found on sony music cd's and it was high risk malware which leaves the pc open to hacks and attacks.

Anyway, I looked in the back of the cd cases of the music that I was listening to and one of them had been distributed by sony..sigh! After numerous internet searches I have come to find out that sony placed a copywrite protection on the cds...along with the hidden rootkit file so that anyone who is playing their cds while connected online, their pc will unknowingly contact the sony website to let them know what songs you are listening to at the current time.

I have also learn that rootkit is what hackers use in order to create hidden space on a pc to hide whatever criminal activity it is that they do online. Sony has not offered any type of uninstall for this...only a so-called patch to patch up their wrong doings.

I have come across a few lists online with the artists whos music cds are the only ones who are suppose to be infected but I can tell you all now that they didnt complete the list and they are still being dishonest. The cd that dowloaded rootkit to my pc osnt even listed.

The holidays are here and I know a lot of you will be buying new cds and you love playing them on your pc or downloading the songs to itunes etc. But please be aware that you are putting ur pc and any personal information on your pc at risk.

Happy Holidays!
http://www.boingboin...it_roundup.html

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah we have had a topic on this, most of the antivirus compaines have a fix to remove it and sony released a patch to remove its rootkit as well.

mdoc

mdoc

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
looks like Sony's offer to remove the rootkit with a patch has a lot of worms in it:
http://www.sysintern...decloaking.html

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
This topic is already borderline so I am going to post a warning here. It is the policy of this forum to only allow Malware Staff to provide help with malware related issues. So long as this thread continues to talk about the issue at hand and doesnt turn into someone offering malware related help, it will stay open.

If you believe you have been infected by this Rootkit, post your HiJackThis log in our malware removal forum and someone trained in such things can assist you.

ScHwErV :tazz: