Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ongoing computer problem, just cuts out for no reason

• Please log in to reply

S2NYS

S2NYS

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Firstly I'm new so I'd just like to say hello :tazz:

I have no idea what is causing my comp to do this, here is the problem in more detail ...

I am running windows XP on a new hi-spec machine, I am a doing a few things i.e. 3-4 browsers open, listening to music & talking on MSN .... then all of a sudden the monitor & speakers will just turn off (cut out) BUT the base unit is still going, it hasnt turned off, it is just running as normal. Its like all of the 'signals' being output from my computer are being cut off. So the only option I have from here is to reset the comp.

Now to add more confusion ... this was happening on my old computer but I attributed it to my hard drive or motherboard as it was quite old. I bought a new computer, everything on it was new BUT I put my old hard drive in because it had my data on it. Now my new comp was doing the same thing, so then I assumed it was deffinatley my hard drive, I purchased a new hard drive (10,000 rpm sata) & put that in my machine. Now EVERYTHING in my comp is new! Guess what ... same problem. Then I rang the people I bought it from & they had no idea either, so they said we'll build u a whole new machine and we'll swap it over. I agreed as it could have been a faulty motherboard or something right? So I'm now on my 3rd machine which is only a day old and its still doing the same thing! The only thing that is the same between my 2nd & 3rd machine is the 128 graphics card as they didnt have any more in stock so they switched it over, but it cant be that can it?

So I am well & truely stumped as to what it could be. Could it be a program I am running?

A friend said look in event manager for any red errors after your comp has crashed, I did & in the 'system' section, next to every red x is an event number of 7000. There are errors in the application section but not corresponding with the time of the crash. I looked on the internet what event 7000 means but it is not related to my problem :)

If anyone can help me I'd be most gratefull!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi S2NYS...Welcome to G2G!

A few questions for you...
  • Has this video card been in all of your machines?
  • Are you using a surge protector and is it the same one used on all machines?
  • Have all your machines been plugged into the same wall outlet?
wannabe1

S2NYS

S2NYS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Wannabe

The graphics card has only been in the new machines, i.e. the 2nd & 3rd.
I am using a surge protector and I think it has been the same one yes.
I have been using the same wall socket for the last 2 machines.

Another thing, on my latest machine I also upgraded the power supply to a 550w incase it was that.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This is a very confusing situation... :tazz:

Try a new surge protector. Audio and video are run from the 12 volt side and a voltage spike or fluctuation of some sort may be causing the problem. It's the only common denominator I'm seeing right now.

Let me know if this helps the problem.

wannabe1

S2NYS

S2NYS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ok thanks for your help, I'll try a new surge protector & a different socket to see if that helps.

Thanks

S2NYS

S2NYS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Right I have tried a new surge protector & a different socket & it is STILL doing the same thing! I just dont know what the [bleep] is going on, I cant rectify a problem if I dont know whats causing it. I'm baffled! But thanks for suggesting that wannabe1 :tazz:

Anyone else got any ideas?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Have you tried a different monitor?

It could be the video card its also a common link.

Rick