Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Mouse Problem

• Please log in to reply

dano2212

dano2212

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have a Targus PAUM004 USB Mouse, which I've been using for awhile on my Toshipa Laptop (Windows XP). My computer hasn't been recognizing it recently, but it has worked well for the most part in the past. It doesnt make a difference if I boot the computer with it on or off...its not working at all now. If it does work, it works for a minute or so, then will stop. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
As a new usb mouse is relatively inexpensive, I would buy one and try that.
If it works flawlessly, there's your answer. If you have the same problem with new one, then by all means investigate further. Eliminate the obvious (and simplest) possibilities first!

ejh

ejh

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I also have a Targus PAUM004 USB mouse, which I use on my toshiba laptop, running xp. I bought it last april and its worked fine until this morning. Same symptoms: just stopped working. I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers; it would work for a minute or two on reboot, then freeze up. I can't believe it's a hardware issue, is it? If so, why does it work fine for a couple of minute each time I reinstall the drivers? Any help would be appreciated.

ejh

Dr. Engineer

Dr. Engineer

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am running into the exact issue you are describing. It is without any doubt that the mouse itself is the problem. As soon as I plug in my other USB mouse, everything functions properly. I have never dropped this mouse. I have also noticed that there is some connection that is loose. That is why it stops woking after couple minutes. However, I haven't figured out how to take the mouse apart.

This mouse broke exactly after 1 year and 10 days (I still have the receipt).

shizaf

shizaf

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Yup, exact same thing. Mine strated doing this shortly after I bought it but since I only use it for travelling, I didn't try problem solving. However, I now need to use it and its bugging me. Anyone know what the driver is for this thing and where I can get it. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but now it can't find a driver. Running Win XP Home.

Edited by shizaf, 22 January 2006 - 12:15 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Quick note to everyone here re. USB mice & laptops :

1. USB mice themselves do not require any special drivers to work. The only driver required is the one for USB controller which should already be installed anyway.

2. Test the mouse on another computer if you want to be certain whether the mouse is actually faulty.

3. If mouse works on another computer or if you don't have access to another computer, then after XP has loaded up, try unplugging & reconnecting the mouse. If it works after this, then go to device manager, expand the USB Controllers branch, double click on the Root Hub entry, select the Power Management tab & clear the 'Allow computer to turn off this device to save power' checkbox. If you have more than one Root Hub entry, then repeat this for all of them.