Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard drive wont load

• Please log in to reply

Nanobite

Nanobite

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Windows 98 SE OS on the hard drive. A ATX motherboard, 64 mb SDRam, Pentium III, and 32 mb video card. At the boot test sequence it shows what hard drive I have which is a Samsung. After the test sequence it goes to the other boot screen showing the stats of my computer then it goes to another screen saying that it is going to create a RAMDrive that will be considered drive C:/. It wont load up the hard drive at all. It was working fine up until a month ago. I didnt make any changes to the computer whatsoever because I only use it to type up documents.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You have three issues here:

1) Ram Drives shouldn't be using Drive C on a system that's Windows 98SE. Your Hard Drive should therefore be always Drive C, with Ram Drives starting from Drive D.

2) Because the RAM drive is taking Drive C, that's usually meaning your hadr drive isn't being seen at all.

3) But unless you're booting off a Floppy or a CD, you wouldn't see the RAM Drive message at all...

You haven't inadvertedly left a floppy disk/CD in the drives per chance?

Nanobite

Nanobite

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No I dont think I did at the time. The very first time this problem arose it said to insert system disk so what I did was I put in my win98 start up disk. Thats when it started the ram drive thing the first time after that with or without a boot disk it has been stating that it will use the ramdrive as the C:/ and every now and again it will say please insert system disk. I've tried to change some of the BIOS properties to see if there would be any changes but none have made the situation better.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If there is no actual boot disk in the floppy drive you might want to see if for some reason the files from the boot disk were copied to the hard drive, making it act as a boot disk. Oddly, you can use the boot disk to check this out, after booting Enter

dir /p

to see what is in A:. then try

C:\dir /p

at the prompt, and compare the directory of C: with the directory of A: to see if the files were copied over. Several of the files should have the same name, but not all of them.