Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC Wont reformat

• Please log in to reply

Monkfi5h

Monkfi5h

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey,

Medium time reader, first time post guy

I have recently decided to reformat (Partition?) my hard drive as theres too much crap on my PC that decides it doesnt want to uninstall (Doom3!?!).

When I first got my pc, it didnt come with an XP disk (either that or ive lost it?), it was just loaded on there, but when it was first booted up I had to make two master CD's to reformat (I think, this was a while back). I have reformatted in the past but I cant remember how to do it now.

I have set the BIOS to boot from the CD, it spins and then asks if I want to go the recovery screen or load Windows XP (like normal). So I go to the recovery and now i'm dammed if I know what to do, I can't remember having to do this...

I did read h t t p://www.webtree.ca/newlife/clean_install.h t m but none of that really looks familiar...

Any help is appreciated...Thanks!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Monkfi5h...

Have a look at this Microsoft Guide...that should get you going. If you have any questions, post back.

wannabe1

Monkfi5h

Monkfi5h

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yeah I did try all that, but I dont have an XP disk so I cant get the boot screen...

Ill try the c:\format as I doubt it can go any more wrong...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
are you sure it's asking you whether you want to go to recovery or load windows?

that screen should in theory be asking you if you want to use the recovery console or install windows..

what happens when you try the option that isn't the recovery console (the one you say is telling you it will load windows)