Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pc won't start at all

• Please log in to reply

andy

andy

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
after using recovery disc for xp it stalled on the remove any discs then press any key, so i had to press reset and now pc won't start at all please help

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
First try clearing your CMOS/BIOS. Either by finding the jumper on the motherboard and shorting it, or by disconnecting the power and removing the battery for at least five minutes.

andy

andy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
thanx will try that

andy

andy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I TRIED CLEARING CMOS, BUT IT HAD NO EFFECT, PC STILL JUST BEEPS AND TRIES TO READ FLOPPY DRIVE , BUT EVEN WITH RECOVERY DISC IN IT STILL DOES NOTHING BUT BEEP, PS THIS PROBLEM WAS POSTED ON AN EARLIER DATE, I GOT THE ADDVICE ABOUT CMOS OFF YOU BUT DID NOT KNOW HOW TO ALERT YOU BY ADDING TO OLD POST, AS I HAVE ONLY LIMETED ACCESS AT THE MOMENT SO IT COULD BE A FEW DAYS BEFORE I GOT BACK ON LINE, HOW DO I ALERT YOU ON AN OLD MESSAGE WHEN IT HAS BEEN LEFT FOR A WHILE ? THANX

ANDY

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I merged this post with your original topic. To find your earlier posts, select the My Assistant link in the upper right hand corner, then choose My Last 10 Posts.

Any error messages displayed? Do you see anything on the screen?

When you say it beeps, is there a single beep, or a series of beeps? (i.e. one long, two short).

andy

andy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
i don't see anything on screen, the monitor just stays on stand-by, the pc does a beep then a beep beep! and if you put the recovery disc in floppy it seems to try and read it, then the beeps change but nothing happens!

ps. thanx for advice on updating my post <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Definately a hardware problem. One long, followed by two short beeps usually indicates a problem with the video system. If you have a video card, you might try removing, and then replacing it. Ensure that it's seated tightly.

If that doesn't work, I'd recommend that you bring it to a shop to have it diagnosed (unless, you have another system, or some known good parts to swap).

Odd coincidence it happened during a recovery, but it does stress your system and may have lead to a component failing.

andy

andy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
thanx for your help, but think i might have to take it in to a shop to be tested <_<