Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

SATA slave drive question

• Please log in to reply

akb

akb

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have an Asus kv8 deluxe motherboard that supports SATA RAID. My hard drive recently began developing trouble, so I ordered a replacement drive. I need to remove some files from the old drive (which is not working properly), and it was suggested to me that I should set up the new drive as the master and the old as the slave, and then access the files I need. Is this possible to do with SATA drives? Can I set one as the master and one as the slave without setting up a RAID array?

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
It should be set this way by defult, but in case not,...You will need to use a raid disk, but it will not be a array such as raid 0 (striped) or raid 1 (mirrored). It would be the JBOD setting. (Just a Bunch Of Drives). If you bought the hard disk retail not oem, then it should come with such a disk, otherwise, the manufacturers website should have a download for a utility.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Sata drives are automatic just put the new drive in the sata 1 slot and the old one in the sata 2 slot(the slots are numbered usually). Just stick em in and see if it will work, a raid array wouldnt be a good way of doing it.

akb

akb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Okay, thank you. I'll try the "plug 'n play" method, and if that doesn't work I'll download the appropriate driver.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Sata drives dont have drivers its the RAID controllers that have them(if the drives are working you have the driver) and a RAID array wouldnt help you here as you want to take from one drive to another.