Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Local Area Connection... gone?

• Please log in to reply

jamnnprogramn

jamnnprogramn

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello everyone. First of all I would like to thank you all ahead of time for any and all help.

Ok... here is the deal. I use a Shuttle MN31/N with nForce2. It has on-board LAN and has been working great for 2 years now.

Well, last night I was playing World of Warcraft ( :tazz: ) and when I logged out, my computer froze. This was the first time that has happened, ever. I know it isn't spyware. I rebooted and the computer didn't even post! I re-rebooted and it was fine. (To avoid all comments about electricity, I have my computer on a battery back-up)

So I call Verizon (I have DSL) and they tell me to do ipconfig... Even I was surprised at the results... it was showing that there were no network connections.

I figured it was something simple, so I went and checked the BIOS settings. Everything was enabled. So I checked device manager, and sure enough only 1394 connection (the controller, not the actual adapter) was there.

So, I tried disabling and re-enabling the on-board LAN to see if it would pick it up as needing drivers or something. It didn't. So, I took the CD that came with it and tried to reinstall drivers... still nothing.

So THEN I try to manually add the hardware... the result was embarrassing. Still nothing. As a final stand... I flashed the BIOS... no change. I even checked the back and the green and yellow lights are on. On the router it shows me as being connected.

I just don't get it. If anyone has ANY advice, I'd appreciate it. I would just go buy a new card, but I have a low-profile case which makes obtaining one that will fit a challenge.

Thanks again,

Jordan

Advertisements

jamnnprogramn

jamnnprogramn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well, because I am a very impatient person (and I get an employee discount working for the Geek Squad and all), I decided to buy a new card. If anyone has any type of solution, I wouldn't mind returning that card. Please don't bump for two days.

Thanks,

Jordan

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Buy a new card then if you believe the onboard one has gone.

General rule of thumb: If it doesn't exist in Device Manager, its one of four things:

1) It's not switched on (onboard devices)
2) It isn't plugged in properly (peripherial cards)
3) It's gone to the great computer scrapyard in the sky.
4) It's dependent on something else before it gets its own entry in Device Manager (for example Windows often finds two things when you install a modem driver: The modem and the speaker).