Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding my work laptop to my list of devices on my personal VPN service

remote working vpn employer laptop privacy network security

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Dude44

Dude44

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Glad to find this forum! Searched for this topic but cannot find this specific scenario > Adding/using a company laptop on my personal VPN service while home and traveling.

I use a popular VPN service running on all my personal devices, iphone, ipad, Macbook. On my Macbook, I have any/all sharing features turned off in system settings and no sharing within my home network between devices. I would like to download, add, and run my work/company issued laptop (windows 11 pro) to this VPN plan of mine as yet another device running on it. 

This work laptop has zero VPN, or 2FA, running on it. We are NOT discouraged to connect to public WiFi's (shocking I know). Living on planes and hotels 90% of the time, we can turn on WiFi and connect to any open WiFi network if we choose to.  Additionally, the degree to which the laptop is managed seems minimal at best, I can easily go to settings>location>turn off, etc, etc.

The goal, if not obvious, is obfuscation of physical location while connected in my home/office (which I've named after a popular hotel chain, "Hotel_Guest WiFi "). I'm trying to better understand if, in doing this, would I be creating new personal privacy/security issues? To what degree these same risks exist currently by connecting on home network without a VPN running on the laptop I don't know. Option B is to buy a second, separate VPN account I use solely for this purpose.

After countless internet searches, I only see the opposite scenario, Using a "Company VPN" /laptop on a home network (no thank you)  or, connecting home computer to "Company" VPN (madness)..... but nothing for using a company laptop on "personal" VPN, and while connected to a home wifi network.

Thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully opine.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Sorry to be the barer of bad news but for legal reasons and as per the GtG Terms of Use no assistance can be offered with this;

• We cannot help you get around any administrative restrictions imposed on a school, work or other network not owned and operated by yourself. These restrictions can include (but are not limited to): website blocking/filtering, software installation, email retention, software configuration, network/internet usage, network configuration, forum or chat room restrictions, game server restrictions, or any other actions that are deemed "unauthorized" by the owners/administrators of the network in question.

This work laptop has zero VPN, or 2FA, running on it. We are NOT discouraged to connect to public WiFi's (shocking I know).

Portable works computers would not be of much use if users were not allowed to use public networks so that is normal as is no VPN being installed by the company, they want to be able to see where and what the computer has been used for which again is standard procedure, work stuff stays on works computer and private stuff on private hardware, no conflict of interest and no legal implications that way.

Only the company IT Administrator should be allowed to deal with this and anyone else could be opening the backdoor to the companies network and do you really want to run the risk of compromising the company network or likewise compromising your own with nasties from someone else on the open network.

Thread closed as per the above explanation.