Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Computer about to die: help please

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hey -

I have a windows 98 platform on an HP Pavilion computer. I have been receiving help for a combination of spyware and hardware problems on another forum Link.

Begining a couple of days ago, my computer began to give this message at the start up: SMART failure predicted on Hard Disk 0: Maxtor 96147 U8 - (PM). Immediately back up all your files and (this last part I'm trying to remember) replace your hard disk.

The computer guy had suggested I upgrade to Windows XP as a way of avoiding the way Windows 98 has of poorly using the system resources, which was my prior problem on the system.

How serious is this message? It sounds like my computer is about to die... can this be fixed, and would upgrading to XP still be possible, or recommended? Do I really need to buy a new hard drive, and how much will that cost.

Thanks for all your help.

Edited by lbr_008, 20 November 2005 - 11:51 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It depends how long you have had the drive

Replacement depends on how big / fast a drive you want

Installing XP depends on your PC being up to it

Click start, programmes, accessories, system tools to run scandisk

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
SMART status messages can be hit and miss. There is no universal standard for the SMART facility so what one program/BIOS reports as a failing drive might be marked as healthy in another program.

Plus of course SMART status means nothing about lastability. The drive might continue to function normally for months yet. All this message is telling you is that failure may be imminent.

Anyway upgrading to XP on that drive won't do anything about the SMART messages.

It's up to you how much you value that drive and how long you think its got left. The safe thing to do is of course buy a new drive and hang the other one in maybe another non critical system to give it some use.