Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAN limited or no connectivity

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
kris...someone out on the forum just posted this
http://www.pchell.co...nectivity.shtml
apparently there is a patch from MS that can fix the limited or no connectivity notification that comes up even if your connection is working...if the patch doesn't work...that site also lists the steps for turning the notification off...

i think we've ALL been banging our heads against a wall trying to fix something that wasn't really broken...i mean...your connection works perfectly right?....i hope the patch works..as that's a little less defeating than just turning off the notificatioin...

Advertisements

kris74745

kris74745

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
Hello,

I wish it were that easy. I tried the patch, and it didn't work. The thing is, my LAN isn't working properly. I cannot connect to the internet with just the LAN. I have to use the PPPOE. And, the LAN has to be connected for that to work. I was really hoping that the message would just go away, too!

Thanks,

Kristi

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
dadburnit....

Kraze311

Kraze311

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, sorry to butt in.
I'm having the EXACT same problem as kris. I have the same D-Link card as kris too. I posted mine up making a new topic but I need someone to help... Can you have someone to help me dsenette? You can focus on kris but I really need help.

http://www.geekstogo...howtopic=102344

Once again, sorry to butt in. Also, I tried downloading the patch too and it didn't work.

kris74745

kris74745

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
:)

Sorry, but really, at this point what else can you do? :tazz: Maybe that is it!!! Anyway, sorry to get your hopes up. In case you need to know, the router used VIA PCI 10/100Mb Fast Ethernet Adapter #2. After we took the router off...the LAN would not work. This adapter cannot be removed...it is embedded into the motherboard from what I understand. We installed the D-link, with hopes of connectivity. We followed the instructions and installation process. It didn't keep the other from working. When VIA is enabled, the LAN still shows limited or no connectivity. IF the VIA is enabled, it shows a big red X on it. I finally unplugged the connection or else I couldn't log on to the PPPoE. As soon as I tried to uninstall it, my computer was set to automatically configure the adapter, I guess since it is in the mother board. The only way I could find to log onto the internet was through WAN miniport PPPoE. I am happy to be able to log on at all, since I have online college courses right now. Other than that, I don't know what to say. Hopefully, we can figure it out. Maybe this info will help you. I hope this will help anyone else as well!!!!

Kristi :)

Edited by kris74745, 17 March 2006 - 09:48 PM.

kris74745

kris74745

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
Hey guys! Just checking in... I just began summer school, and I finally got married on May 19th in Belize! Any way, I still have the same problem. Let me know if I am a lost cause or what!

Kristi :whistling:

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Kristi -- congratulations on the wedding! :blink: :)

Your problem is one of those that would be very difficult to solve if you were sitting in front of the computer and could see everything; trying to do it in an online environment greatly increases the difficulty :help:

I think we've exhausted most troubleshooting techniques, and the only option left that I can think of is to completely remove all adapters, network components etc and then re-install them from scratch. At present, there are too many unknowns that are getting in the way of troubleshooting; doing this would ensure that we'd know exactly what was going on with your computer. However, I hesitated to suggest this last time as you were currently enrolled in an online course, and since you had Internet connectivity, I thought it would be best to not tempt fate, as I really don't understand why you are able to use your PPPoE connection, but not the LAN.. It's this ignorance that I'm afraid of :whistling: I can't really say for sure what will happen, and there's a slim possibility that everything could go wrong and leave you Internet-less.

So, the ball's in your corner; if you're not currently dependant on your Internet, and you're willing to give it a shot, I'd be more than happy to post the steps. Normally I'd post these steps with little concern, as they really shouldn't be able to 'harm' your connection.. However your situation is a little unique :woot: We would of course also take precautionary steps so that at worst, you should be able to restore your connection to it's current state.

Let me know what you decide.. And of course I'm only speaking for myself in terms of troubleshooting steps; if anyone else has anything to add.. please do :woot:

kris74745

kris74745

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
Hey Dan!!! :woot:

I did come up with a question for you. :whistling: I had not tried to completely reinstall Windows XP Home Edition, the one that I bought. In some of our last posts, I just needed one part of it for a test. Well, yesterday I tried to reinstall it. Guess what showed up as noncompatible with home edition? EnterNet 300, which is what my modem uses, and it doesn't let me, but it says it has to so.... :help: . It said I would have to have XP Professional in order for it to work. You think maybe that has something to do with it? :) For a refresh...the old computer tech put XP on our computer. We had an older edition, but I don't understand how he put the updated version of XP on there if it won't work with the adapter he gave us... That was when he installed the router....and we uninstalled it later because our computer kept crashing and we would have to take it back to him!!!!!! Anyway, I thought I would tell you what the details were. I knew my XP wasn't updating certain files, but I didn't know why. You think that could be a lot of our problem? :blink:

Thanks for the reply!

Kristi :woot:

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
:woot: If memory serves, I believe EnterNet 300 is software intended to setup PPPoE connections? This could definitely be getting in the way of all other types of connections, if that's the case. The only time this software is usually installed is if your ISP specifically requests it. Windows XP has it's own built-in support for PPPoE, which you should be able to use without any other software. So, what I'd suggest would be that you confirm with your ISP that you don't actually need EnterNet 300; if that's the case then I'd suggest you remove it.. but before you do, make sure you can actually re-install it :) Just to be on the safe side :help:

If your ISP confirms that you don't need this software, or if you're adventurous and want to test my theory out anyway, here's what you should do -- this will test to see if you can connect via PPPoE to your ISP without the EnterNet 300 software.
  • Goto Start --> Run --> type appwiz.cpl and press OK. Locate the EnterNet 300 software in this list and select Remove -- allow it to uninstall and then restart your computer. Upon reboot, confirm that the software has been removed.
  • Goto Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Connections.
  • Select File --> New Connection...
  • Click Next.
  • Choose the Connect to the Internet option, and click Next.
  • Choose the Set up my connection manually option, and click Next.
  • Choose the Connect using a broadband connection that requires a user name and password option, and click Next.
  • The next window is just the name of your connection; make it happy and enter the name of your ISP.
  • Enter your username and password, ensure that both checkboxes are checked, and then click Next.
  • Click Finish to complete the wizard.
  • Reboot your computer.
Now try to connect to the Internet with your PPPoE connection; does it still work? If it does, then continue.. If it does not, then you need to re-install your EnterNet 300 software, pray to god that your connection still works and then return to the forum and verbally abuse me :whistling:

If you could connect to the Internet without the EnterNet 300 software, then try this --
  • Goto Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Connections.
  • Select File --> New Connection...
  • Click Next.
  • Choose the Connect to the Internet option, and click Next.
  • Choose the Set up my connection manually option, and click Next.
  • Choose the Connect using a broadband connection that is always on option, and click Next.
  • Click Finish to complete the wizard.
  • Reboot your computer.
Now try to connect using your LAN, (not your PPPoE connection) .. Any luck? If not, then repeat the above steps to setup your PPPoE connection again.. Or re-install your EnterNet 300 software and go from there.

Let me know how you go.. Or if you have any questions first, ask away :blink:

Prasad Naidu

Prasad Naidu

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi everyone...plz tell me a solution 4 this problem.

Im using a Home PC recently formatted and installed with -
[WinXP Pro, Service pack 2, ZoneAlarm Firewall]

Bro using a Laptop recently formatted and installed with -
[WinXP Pro, Service Pack 2, Windows Firewall]

Have 2 connections
Wired
Wireless(Working fine)

Problem: When i connect my Cat 5 Cross Cable from my bro's laptop to my PC, I always get limited or no
connectivity.
My Wireless is working fine..i can surf the net and connect wirelessly to the laptop. But why is it
that im not able to do so when im wired.
For my ZoneAlarm ive placed my wired network as TRUSTED and accepted the laptop Lan card IP
Address as well.

Plz Help Me out Here...(: X :whistling:
Peace 2 all !!

Advertisements

FPS Steve

FPS Steve

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I had the same problem, but i never really got around to fixing it, the only way it would start working again is if i setup my friends router at like LAN parties and stuff.

Doctor Inferno

Doctor Inferno

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
I have encountered this before and have solved it through one of the steps, so I'll just post it here anyways...:

Posted Image

"This connection has limited or no connectivity. You might not be able to access the Internet or some network resources. "

Solutions to the problem are varied, however most of the solutions found on the web just mask the problem by simply guiding the user through turning off this notification. Now this solution may work great for systems that are showing a false positive error, but what if the system genuinely has lost its local area connection or the connection is unstable, what then?

One possible answer involves a bug in Service Pack 2 of Windows XP dealing with a loss of network connectivity for workstations that use Microsoft’s L2TP-based virtual private networking (VPN) client to connect to servers that are connected to NAT-based networks. However, this bug seems to appear in situations that are not associated with VPNs either.

If patching Windows XP for this bug does not fix the problem, read through the list below of other causes and fixes. You may have to reinstall your firewall, rebuild the configuration in your router, drop your connection speed from 100Mbps to 10Mbps, or assign static IP addresses to your computers in the network to resolve this issue.

How do I know if my system is affected by this bug?

If you have installed Windows XP Service Pack 2 and are experiencing any of the following symptoms, this bug is affecting your system.

After installing Windows XP SP2, your network connection reports a problem with "Limited or No Connectivity"

You have trouble connecting to the Internet or your local area network after installing Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Your network connection gets stuck "Acquiring IP Address"

What Steps Can I Take to Fix This Problem?

If you are receiving this error, you should run the Microsoft patch (KB884020) for it. Follow the instructions below to do this. Alternatively, you can download a zip file with the patch, registry file, and instructions by going here:

http://www.ausconnec...ectivityfix.zip

1) Download the patch from Microsoft's site
2) Run the update to install it
3) Run this short Registry fix to complete the update. Type the following lines in Notepad and save the file as FixReg.reg on your desktop, then double click on it to install into your registry.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\IPSec]
"AssumeUDPEncapsulationContextOnSendRule"=dword:00000002

4) Reboot your computer

If you experience the error message again, reboot your computer first. In most cases this will solve many connectivity issues that are not associated with this SP2 bug.

Microsoft patch (KB884020):
http://www.microsoft...;DisplayLang=en

My Connection Works, Can I just disable the warning message?

If your local area connection is working properly and you simply want to disable the warning message follow these steps.

1) Open Control Panel
2) Open Network Connections and Right Click on the Local Area Connection and click on Properties
3) Uncheck the following option on the General Tab

"Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity"

4) Click OK and close the Network Connections window

What If Installing this Patch Doesn't Help?
Other Causes For This Problem

If you are still experiencing this error message even after running the patch shown above, you may be experiencing one of several problems shown below:

1) Your Network or DSL router may have bad or missing information. Powercycle your router and/or rebuild the configuration in your router.

2) Double-check your cabling to the computer. Make sure you have the correct type of cabling, straight-through CAT 5 or possibly a crossover cable and try another cable or test the cable to make sure its working properly.

3) Check your network card to make sure its configured correctly and working properly. Many times setting the network card to 10Mbps/Full Duplex will solve this issue. To do this, open Control Panel, System, Device Manager. Go to the properties of the Network card, click on the Advanced tab and find the Link Speed and Duplex section. Change it from Auto Detect to 10Mbps/Full Duplex.

4) Check and test your firewall. Your firewall, especially if its a software firewall like ZoneAlarm, Black Ice, Norton Firewall or something else could be blocking the connection. Disable your firewall and test the connection. You may have to resolve the problem by even uninstalling and reinstalling the firewall.

5) Check your IP address assignments and workgroup settings in the computer for accuracy. Statically assign IPs to the computers in your network.

6) Reset your TCP/IP stack by downloading and running WinsockXPFix.exe a Visual Basic program designed to fix corrupted TCP/IP issues, host file problems and a variety of other connectivity issues.

Link to WinSock XP Fix:

http://www.spychecke...nsockxpfix.html

Regards :)

CXtecer123

CXtecer123

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Kristi,

I mainly suggest that you just want to switch service providers to get more specializes support. Or you may have possibly been blocked from receiving service, or quarantined, in that time that your firewall was down and susceptible to viruses and spam. If you've done everything you can with your <a href="http://www.cxtec.com...ters_bridges/"> Wireless Router</a> and other devices then I don't see any other way.

Best of Luck!

john michael kim

john michael kim

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Why my computer wont connect and it says limited or no connectivity we have 2 hub with 16 slot all in all is 32 and i think it is just easy to put the cable
to the computer but it won't work whats wrong we already try hub to hub and nothing change if we direct it to the router it works whats wrong the brand of the hub is D-link.

Edited by john michael kim, 19 April 2009 - 06:25 PM.

john michael kim

john michael kim

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm having the same problem with kristi Why my computer wont connect and it says limited or no connectivity we have 2 hub with 16 slot all in all is 32 and i think it is just easy to put the cable
to the computer but it won't work whats wrong we already try hub to hub and nothing change if we direct it to the router it works whats wrong the brand of the hub is D-link.