Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sounds like my PC is running programs in the background all the time

• Please log in to reply

fixit5561

fixit5561

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hello everyone,
Thank you first off for having such a great place to help PC illiterates such as myself. :tazz:
Now to the problem:
I am running windows 98 and I have a pentium II 350 mhz processor on my desktop pc and lately, about the past 6 months, I have heard my desktop run something in the background. It sounds very faint like the harddrive is running programs but the sound is very faint. I did take the harddrive out and put it into an external harddrive case to load my files to my laptop, and it didnt run in the background as it does when it is loaded in my desktop tower? Im stumped? :)

I ran all the programs on the *start here page* of the forum, but couldnt run the web based virus scan, including the Panda version. I also couldnt run the ewido program either. ( it only runs in windows 2000 and above)

What the problem is doing is two fold: My desktop keeps locking up and giving me the fatal error just occured window, usually it says the error is either in KERNELL32.DLL, or in OLEAUT32.DLL,Sometimes, but not often it gives me another fatal error message of other problems too. Then it locks up or has to be restarted to run properly. Also my cursor is very erratic when I'm opening IE6 or other programs(opening *my computer*, *my documents* etc.) as in it just doesnt want to move when I use the mouse to move it while they are opening up.

The second part of my problem is: I just had a network set up and was able to print one test page from the laptop I have on the network, from the desktop pc, then nothing would print anymore from the desktop pc, and also I couldnt access any more shared files on my desktop pc from the laptop. (The desk top is the PC that has the programs running in the background very faintly.) I was told by the guy that set up my network that something sounds like it is running in the background, and he thinks thats what is stopping the 2 pc's from communicating. He says maybe the desktop just has too much running for the laptop to access the shared files.

The desktop is also running extremelly slow and most of the time locks up on me.

I have done the registry fix in DOS to try to fix the registry keys, as in, hit start, run, in the box type, scanreg /fix. It helped a little but I still cant get to my network from the laptop to the desktop.

I do have the highjackthis file if it is needed to help you all to help me. Thats another thing, when I tried to *save log* from the highjackthis window, I had to rename it a different file so that it could be accessed in notepad. When I tried to open the saved .log file it would say that an error occured while using the wizard to open the file. Maybe this has something to do with the other problems I dont know. I can open other files with the wizard though.
Thanks for all your help in advance
Brian

Advertisements

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Hi and wecome to G2G.

You can limit what is running in the background by doing the following:

Click on START (botom left) RUN type in MSCONFIG click on STARTUP and uncheck everything but SCANREGISTRY, SYSTEMTRAY, your AntiVirus and your Firewall.

Nothing else is needed. If you want an application running you can go bck an check it again. Your system should boot up quicker too.

This will not solve all of your problems but it may stop whatever is running in the background.

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Thank you that helped with the startup issues but im still having the sound like something is running in the background, the network still doesnt work, and im still getting the fatal errors messages too.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It sounds like you're about due for a reinstallation of Windows. Or you may have the beginnings of hard drive problems. If you know what brand of hard drive you have go to the maker's website and download their software and make a diagnostic floppy, boot up with it and run the diagnostics. I would do this even before reinstalling Windows. DON'T do the low level format unless you want the drive wiped clean, I have a drive right here that scandisk was not able to find problems on, but the diagnostics found them.

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
CTRL + ALT + DEL will give you the running processes. If you are unsure of any post them here.

If you are beginning to have hard drive problems take this opportunity to back up your important files - before it becomes a bigger problem.

What is the exact error message?

Edited by 1069, 21 November 2005 - 04:11 PM.

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
1069, ok here is one of the invalid page faults messages i keep getting:

I also did a higjackthis log in the malware forum maybe that will help.

One note, when I go to MSconfig and rechecked all the boxes in the start up tab,(as it says in the* before you post a highjackthis log page*) my pc will not reboot to the normal windows. It will only reboot to the safe mode.

EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
module OLEAUT32.DLL at 016f:653a5dee.
Registers:
EAX=00000000 CS=016f EIP=653a5dee EFLGS=00010287
EBX=00000006 SS=0177 ESP=0145fae0 EBP=0145faf8
ECX=0000000b DS=0177 ESI=04223464 FS=3327
EDX=81875b78 ES=0177 EDI=00000140 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
8b 18 33 ff 39 7e 1c 74 57 39 7e 24 75 49 89 7d
Stack dump:
00000140 04222e98 00000006 041e9860 00000140 04222e98 00000000 6539b307 00000001 04222e98 653cfbd0 00000000 6539b16a 04222e98 6539b1db 00000001

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
OH no, now my pc will only boot up in safe mode. I did do a msconfig, and disabled ssdsrv.exe that was running on start up and ever since then it has run only in safe mode. I did go back and recheck the same ssdsrv.exe to enable it and it still does the same thing. Even if i try to reboot it doesnt give me any options on what mode to reboot into, it just goes automatically to safe mode.

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Hi,

Disabling ssdpsrv.exe should not cause the system to react in this way as Simple Service Discovery Protocol (SSDP) is related to Plug and Play functions and is not required in the startup menu.

You really must backup your important files if you have not already done so.

One note, when I go to MSconfig and rechecked all the boxes in the start up tab,(as it says in the* before you post a highjackthis log page*) my pc will not reboot to the normal windows. It will only reboot to the safe mode.

If you go back to my first post and just check the few items suggested does that help?

Do you have the original Win98 installation disk?

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
hi 1069,

Yes i have backed up all my files already. ?I bought an external hard drive case and made the hard drive an external hard drive and loaded all the files i needed to my laptop.
Yes i tried all the fixes we talked about earlier and that still doesnt help.

I do have the original win98 insallation disk and I also have a floppy that came with my PC that says on it Microsoft Boot disk Windows 98 series.

I was able to get all my email address into a file and import them onto my laptp, and am now retyping the group contact lists into it 1 at a time. I couldnt get the to transfer to a file because I only added them to the group list of email contacts and not to my address book. Good thing theres only about 150 of them! hahahaha

Thanks
Brian

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
here is the latest kernell32.dll error message i had

EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
module KERNEL32.DLL at 016f:bff9d709.
Registers:
EAX=c00300ec CS=016f EIP=bff9d709 EFLGS=00010216
EBX=042dffbc SS=0177 ESP=0429fd84 EBP=042a0020
ECX=00000000 DS=0177 ESI=00000000 FS=3e57
EDX=bff76859 ES=0177 EDI=bff79050 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
53 8b 15 dc 9c fc bf 56 89 4d e4 57 89 4d dc 89
Stack dump:

Thanks
Brian

Advertisements

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Your error message indicates a problem with Explorer (not Kernell32)

As you have your installation cd try reinstalling Win98 over the top of the existing system. You should not lose any data an it may fix one or two problems (no guarantees)

With you Win98 CD in the drive ,constantly tap f8 on bootup and select Start with CDROM Support at the startup menu. At the prompt type D:\Setup.exe (or whatever the drive letter is for your CDROM drive) and just install over the top of the existing Windows.

Sometimes this fixes errors sometimes .....

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

tried the fix you said and when it gets to the windows set up it freezes. Then when i take the disk out and reboot the pc i get a message that sais:

Windows setup was unable o update your system files.

This may be caused by virus detection enabled in the system BIOS, or by virus detection software running on your computer.

To diable built-in virus detection, use the CMOS or BIOS configuration program on your ystem and disable all virus protection options, including boot sector write protection. Consult the documentation that came wih your computer manufacturer for more info about virus options included with your system.

To disable virus-detection software running on your computer, you may need to remove the lines that start the virus protection program from your Auotexec.bat andConfig.sys files. See Setup.txt on Setup disk 1 or theWindows CD-ROM for more info on editing these files.

After you have disabled virus detection, re-start your computer and run Windows setup again.

I dont know what to do now?? :tazz:
Yours truely, the illiterate computer owner!
Brian

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
also another note, I did download the Grisoft AVG virus software to use on the computer, and do have zonealarm firewall software on this pc. Is that why it wont let me reset up the windows?

I did try going to Run, then msconfig, then uncheked all the anti vrus and zone alarm firewall software boxes and tried it again and got the same results, the system locked up on setup of windows 98

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Hi again,

Try this : Put your Microsoft Boot Disk in the floppy drive and your Win98 cd in the CDROM drive.

Switch on and the floppy should be accessed first and take you through the boot sequence.

You will be given 3 options (I think) - select ..."With CDROM Support"

After a time of activity you will be looking at the A:\ prompt.

Type here D:\ (or whatever letter your CDROM drive is allocated) hit return key.

You will be looking at D:\ now type in Setup.exe ( looks like D:\setup.exe ) hit return key.

This should take you through the Windows 98 installation (over the top of your existing one).

Edited by 1069, 23 November 2005 - 12:02 PM.

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
what is the * return key*