Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sounds like my PC is running programs in the background all the time

• Please log in to reply

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
The ENTER key (big key - bent arrowe-in the middle of the keyboard)

Edited by 1069, 23 November 2005 - 01:02 PM.

Advertisements

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
thats what i thought i just wanted to make sure.

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
tried it i forgot my pc is set to boot from the cd first the harddrive second then the floppy 3rd how do i change that setting ?

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Switch on - on the first screen you should see (bottom left) "Press DEL to Enter Setup. Press the DELETE KEY - you will be taken into the BIOS SETTINGS.

use the 4 arrow keys to navigate to BOOT- hit the ENTER key.

The boot sequence is shown - use arrow keys to select FLOPPY then use + to move it to the top.

Go back down and highlight the CDROM use the + to move that to 2nd place.

The HDD should be third. (you can use+/- to move the sequence up or down)

If you have the option here - press f10 to save otherwise press ESCAPE until you do. You MUST save the settings and exit.

Switch off then go back to inserting floppy and CD.

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

I changed the BIOS setting and it i reloading windows as I type this, ill post here when it is finhsed to let you know if that corrected everything

Thanks again i appreciate all your help so far! YOU RULE!!!!!
Brian

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

I reinstalled windows it did do that but, Im still stuck in the safe mode, but I did notice that there isnt the words *safe Mode* in all 4 corners of my desktop.

So Im still stuck, whats next?

Thanks
Brian

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

I reinstalled windows it did do that but, Im still stuck in the safe mode, but I did notice that there isnt the words *safe Mode* in all 4 corners of my desktop.

So Im still stuck, whats next?

Thanks
Brian

That means you'll have to reinstall your display adapter drivers. Probably some others too. Open Control Panel>System, click the Device manager tab, look for any yellow question marks. Those will be drivers that will need to be reinstalled. You can go to the computer maker's website and plug your model in and see if they have the drivers. Needless to say, if you can't connect it to the internet you will have to use another machine to download the modem/network card drivers to a floppy and run them on the machine. Had to do that many a time myself.

If you have any trouble finding the drivers many of us can help you.

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Tyger,

Still in the same mode (Safe, but without the 4 *safe mode* icons in the 4 corners) with the desktop. I installd the drivers to no avail. Im still lost too, whats next?

Brian

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Hi Brian,

In your post 7 you said that you could only boot up in safe mode - reinstalling over the top does not fix everything and it would seem that your video drivers are missing.

Does the machine seem to be performing normally (other than the obvious lack of colour definitiion) ?

Are you getting any error messages?

If you go to Control Panel > Display > Settings can you alter the setting from 640 x 480 to a higher resolution?

Do you have sound?

If you go to Control Panel > System > Device Manager and click on Sound, Video Controlers ( or similar - not on my 98 machine ) what does it say?

Edited by 1069, 24 November 2005 - 07:18 AM.

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
The machine is performing kind of normally, sometimes I come in and it is shut off, (I didnt shut it off before i left) It still gets the explorer errors when I close my browser but only occasionally, no better or worse than before.

Now could this all be due to me setting up a network and inserting my Windows XP into the cd rom( on my desktop pc which is running win 98) and clicked on perform other duties and adding the network info that i was directed from my dell laptop (running windows xp) to add to my desktop running win 98? The machine seemed fine just after that then a few hours later it went to the safe mode.

I went to display and my settngs were at 800 x 600 i set it up farther now to 1024x ...... now it seems to be fine, i also reinstalled the video drivers again and did a custom insall and changed the toolbar settings and now it seems to work fine for the display, except 1 thing, whenever i put my cursor in the start menu it chages the color of the highlighted item to the safemode color green to highlight the menu. It used to highlite i blue, is this still in the safe mode and how do i get that color to change back to blue when i highlite? Also though (maybe my video card has something wrong with it,) sme videos i play that are loaded on my machine play erratically, the play in segments kind of, almost slide showish. other vieos play fine on the machine.

Now I dont have any sound at all ,and when going to the control panel and checking in the device manager I click on the sound, video, game controller and it says in sub catagories below that everything is there. I went and clicked on them and opened them up and they all say the drivers are up to date when i try to find a newer driver. I do have the sound card driver Cd but i dont know what drivers to install from it, it is an ESS and the driver descriptions on the front of the disk are ESS 1868 with S/W, ESS 1869 with S/W, Audio rack. I put it in my cd rom and it didnt start by itself, and I dont know which drivers to add to the computer from the cd.

Edited by fixit5561, 24 November 2005 - 10:17 AM.

Advertisements

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Now could this all be due to me setting up a network and inserting my Windows XP into the cd rom( on my desktop pc which is running win 98) This was probably not a good idea.

If you were in 640 x 480 your machine appearance would look devoid of colour - as in safe mode. If you can alter your settings to a higher resolution then it would appear that your drivers are installed.

An installation over the top should not have affected your sound card drivers - was the sound working before?

If you left click on the speaker in the task bar ( bottom right) is the volume level set to high and is there no check mark in mute?

Go to Sound Video Game Controlers again - what does it list relating to sound? Could have ESS in the description.

Do you still have "..programs running in the background.." or is that fixed?

Edited by 1069, 24 November 2005 - 02:22 PM.

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Hi , I was away for the holiday.

Ok, I still have no sound , there is no speaker icon on the task bar.

In the sound, video game control the sub folders are as follows: with yellow marks in front of them
ES1869 Control interface (WDM)
ES1869 Plug and Play AudioDrive (WDM)
these 2 below do not have the yellow marks in front of them
Gameport joystick
Wave Device for Voice Modem.

Yes the programs that seemed to be running have now gone away.

But now no sound

Thanks
Brian

Edited by fixit5561, 28 November 2005 - 11:27 AM.

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Hi,

Hope you enjoyed your holiday.

The yellow exclamation marks indicate a problem with your sound card.

Go to Control Panel - Add/Remove and see if your card (ES1869 Plug and Play AudioDrive (WDM) ) is listed. If it is highlight and click on Add/Remove and uninstall it.

Your system should find the new hardware on a reboot and you should be able to reinstall the drivers from the prompts.

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Yes I enjoyed it and hope you did the same.

I went to add/remove programs and there isnt a (ES1869 Plug and Play AudioDrive (WDM) even listed in there.

So now what do i do no sound is all that the problem is now. except i still get that greenish looking highliter that is uaually on the screen saver mode when i highlite the start menu when it comes up.

Brian

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Brian,

Go to Device Manager and locate it there. You should have the option to delete it after you highlight it. ( sorry to be vague - not on my 98 machine at the moment )