Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sounds like my PC is running programs in the background all the time

• Please log in to reply

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Brian,

I am reluctant to advise that you format and reinstall as you are so close to getting this sorted and you may well end up with the same sound card driver problem.

What do you think Tyger?

Am I right in thinking that you have never successfully uninstalled the sound card driver?

If you go to Device Manager and highlight it - do you not have the option to delete?

If you do and it will not delete - try it in safe mode (tapping f8 > safe Mode) We need to uninstall the old driver then install the new downloaded one.

Advertisements

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Yes i get it deleted in safe mode,(the sound drivers) then when i go to reboot, the drivers all load except the last one which when it shows the box saying that it is loading, the screen goes black and says out of timing. then i have to reboot again. Then after the reboot i go to the devide manager and the ES1869 plug and Play AudioDrive has the yellow sign next to it. it has done the same thing everytime and still no sound.

I have also went into the folder where it is loaded to by the winzip, and tried to install it from there and still get the same thing.

It seems to me that the problem maybe when the last file(which is the one that makes the sound card work) loads the coputer shuts itself down and goes into the black screen that says out of timing.

Ok now i checked something else called an ASD (Automatic skip driver) when i go to device manager it tells me when i look in properties for the above driver that wont load that i can go to windows help and type in ASD and it will tell me what is wrong.

So i did that and it tells me that it keeps skipping the audio driver, and the reference for this problem is ISAPNP\ESS0003_DEV0001\FFFFFFFF And says try upgrading the device drivers for this hardware, or changing the resources the device is using.

I know nothing about this but figured it maybe halpful to you guys

I do have another item on that ASD it is: Calling a PnP BIOS => Read Extended System Configuration Data [ESCD], and the details box says Windows encountered a fata problem while Calling a PnP BIOS function.
The specific function that caused this problem is: Real Extended System Configuration Data (ESCD)
The reference for this problem is 42 00 00 00 08 04 00 04 E8 00 00 00
To solve this problem contact your computer manufactur.
I dont know if these 2 problems are related but it may help for you to know this.

Man i hope this helps! LOL

Brian

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Hi Brian,

Yes i get it deleted in safe mode,(the sound drivers) then when i go to reboot, the drivers all load except the last one

Do you mean that the system boots up - detects the sound card and goes through the driver installation process only to fail? i.e. it only tries to install ONE driver - the one for your sound card.

...fatal problem while Calling a PnP BIOS function is related to the Plug and Play facility and is probably the cause of your yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager.

I have asked Tyger for an opinion.

In the mean time - can you go to Device manager and click on the + by Display Adapters and click on the + by Monitors - what is listed? Any yellow ! or ?

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
I have another thought-

If you take the side panel off your tower ( if it is a tower) and locate the sound card (it is the one that your speaker cable is plugged into) unscrew the one screw holding it in place and move it to the next convenient slot. ( you may need to rock it gently a little to get it out ).

See if it is detected and the drivers load from here.

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
There is a wave modem driver, a game joystick driver, and the control interface driver then the plug and play audiodrive driver they all load one at a time, the last one to load is the plug and playaudiodrive driver, it fails to reload and then my screen goes black and out of timing.
I have tried to delete them all, and, to delete the plug and play audiodrive driver by itself in regular mode and when i hit remove, it makes the screen go black and the out of timing . Then i go and remove the plug and play audiodrive in safe mode and it does remove it. Then i reboot in normal mode and all i get is the black screen and out of timing, and i have to reboot again and then it loads up the normal screen but when i check the device manager , there is still a yellow check next to the pug and play audiodrive.

There are no other yellow check marks in either the monitor or the display adapters in the device manager.

It seems to me like you said the PnP bios is screwed up and needs to me set a differnt way so that it will work to load the plug and play audio driver the correct way.

Thanks
Brian

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
On your other thought, if the PnP bois is messed up wont it just do the same thing no matter where i plug in the sound card? Just wondering. :tazz:

Brian

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Brian,

you say that you have tried to delete all - the only problem is your audio so don't be tempted to delete any of the others as they seem to be ok.

If you could try moving the sound card (my previous post) this would exclude the present position of the card. It is worth doing just to confirm that the slot is not the problem.

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
ok i will try it but later on tomorrow as i have to go out for the rest of the night. when i do it tmorrow i will post and let you know how it goes and what it does.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Hi again. 1069 asked me to try to help here. Here is what I would do in this situation, and have done many times. Take out the card you need the drivers for, look over it closely and write down anything that might be pertinent, part numbers, mfrs. name, any kind of info at all that might help. Then put into Google

pertininent data +drivers +download

not all the pertinent data at once, once peice at a time. One site may tell you the name of the driver file, another one may have it, so here Google is definitely your friend.

And post the pertinent data here so we can try to help. And good luck.

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hi tyger,

I took the card ot and found these numbers on it;

ESS
AudioDrive
ES1869F G478TAU 45081B

4, 214, 125

Thats all that is on the sound card. ill check out google too right now

Thanks
Brian

Advertisements

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
OK i got my sound to work, but, it only works for the start up and shut down sound. It doesnt work for my windows media player or i use to hear a sounds when i opened a website or clicked on a link, but it doesnt do that amymore. Plus when the opening sound comes on it is extremely loud and there is no speaker in the task bar at the bottom to turn the sound up or down. So how do i get the speaker icon back, and how do i get it to work with my windows media player?

Brian

Edited by fixit5561, 05 December 2005 - 04:54 PM.

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Hi Brian,

sorry about the long delay in getting back to you - are you still having problems?

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

No problem on the wait im a patient man! :tazz:

I did get the yellow mark before the sound card driver in the device manager to go away, and do have limited sound, ill explain below.

I still cant get any sound when i use my windows media player to play movies. I redownloaded WMP and it still doesnt work with the sound.

I do have sound now when my screen saver comes on, i open and close browser windows, etc. and did get the icon back into the task bar below the browser screen. But just no sound with windows media player is all.

Thanks
Brian

Edited by fixit5561, 11 December 2005 - 02:43 PM.

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Brian,

goto Start > Find > Files / Folders in the named box type mplayer - it should find mplayer.exe double click on the file and Media PLayer should open. You may be prompted to "fix" the program if there is a fault.

If not - and it loads - click on File > open and select Chime or similar then click Open.

To test Media PLayer click the play arrow far left.

Do you get sound?

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Hi, i tried searching and found it but when i open it it doesnt ask or have a fix problems come up at all.

I also tried opening it, then fo to files> open and select chime and there is no *chime in the file.

So no i still dont have sound at all on my windows media player.

Thanks
Brian