Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sounds like my PC is running programs in the background all the time

• Please log in to reply

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Are there any options to test MediaPayer when you goto Open?

If not there seems to be a problem with this program and not your sound card which, I suspect is working correctly now.

You could try RealPlayer from here: http://www.download....4-10255189.html

Advertisements

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
There are no options to test MP the only thing in nthe open file is skins, and visualizations.

I had real player but did redownload it again from that site to no avail. The sound didnt work in the realplayer either. so im stumped now i have sond for my screenplayer , and swoshing noises when i open and close browser functions, (minimizing, and maxumizing windows, etc) and thats it.

Brian

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
I assume that you cannot play music cd's either?

Do you have a lead from the back of your CDROM to the sound card?

If so - is it connected?

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Yes i am able to play a CD and hear it no problem, yes the wire is connected from the sound card to the CD Rom.

I just have no sound with using any media player while watching movies that are loaded onto my computer hard drive.

Brian

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Brian,

(got this from Media Player Help)

Click the Windows Start button, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click the Multimedia icon.

Click the Audio tab.

In the Playback area, drag the Volume slider up.

In the Playback area, make sure that the appropriate Preferred device is selected.

Also:

Try this link: http://www.computerh...es/ch000682.htm

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
I think we fixed it. I will expalin what i did in case this i useful to anyone else.

I tryed all the above ideas to no avail. sound still didnt work.
So i loaded windows 98 SE onto my previous OS of just windows 98.

Then i updated windows 98se.

Then i went and loaded the new windows media player 9 (with windows98 you can oly use windows medi player 7.1)

Then i downloaded also the direct X update from the windows site and the sound worked after that in the windows media player.

I cant thank 1069, and tyger enough for their help in the past few weeks. They've done a tremondous job of being patient and exact in their help. Thank you to both of them!!! You guys rule!!

Now i have another computer that im going to need help with in the future i have another that a friend gave to me that has a larger CPU and a better video card and im going to switch some of the components around and hopefully it will work better for me.

Thanks again
Brian

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Brian,

I am very pleased that you finally got your system working. Glad I could help, although the final stage seemed to be down to you. Well done.