Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blank device manager, apropos to blame?

• Please log in to reply

sabesin2001

sabesin2001

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
i've been struggling with spyware/trojans for so long i am about ready to reformat, but recently i found that maybe my blank device manager and blank network connections folder (and missing "safely remove hardware" sys tray icon) might be from apropos adware on my computer. spy sweeper 4.0 finds it sometimes, and says it is removing it, but then it is back. i know the blank device manager has nothing to do with universal plug and play not started or the registry keys not having the correct permissions, i've tried all of those steps that i find on google. also, i downloaded an aproposfix utility, the one with the runthis.bat file but it says
'find' is not a recognized internal or external command, operable program, or batch file.

this error is not explained anywhere online, at least through google. it comes up numerous times in threads but the computer gurus always opt for a manual removal of apropos and have no idea what that error message means. i can't find it ever explained so i'm just really frustrated that so many people seem to get that error message for the .bat file but the question has no answer as far as i can find. i can post hijack this logs and everything but i can never get rid of this apropos thing, i've done all the registry deletion and whatnot so i figured i would post here instead of posting in more adware forums where i just run every virus and adware remover program and it seems clean but then the problem comes up soon after.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please go here:

Malware Removal Guide

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, ask for advice in the Malware Forum