Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Win XP Home Stuck on Start Up

• Please log in to reply

cor-ne-li-us

cor-ne-li-us

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi,

I have a PC running Win XP Home. The system was running fine until last night. It had been sitting a while and was on the screensaver (a standard XP screensaver). I moved the mouse to get back to the desktop and the system locked up. I got the hourglass and nothing else. So, after waiting for quite a while, I shut the PC off. I turned it back on, it went through it's normal start up routine until it got to a the "Windows is Starting Up" screen. Now it just sits there on this screen and does not proceed to the screen where users can log in.

I regularly update Windows; my last update was a few days before this happened. I didn't add any new software right before this happened. The last time I installed any software was at least two days before this happened, and the system ran fine after I installed the software.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!!!

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi cor-ne-li-us! Welcome to G2G!

Are you able to boot into SAFE MODE? (While starting your computer tap the F8 key once every second during the memory count up, or during the system spash screen where you see the system maker's name (HP, COMPAQ, DELL....etc.))

If you are able to get into SAFE MODE, I suggest you do the following:
  • Go to START-->RUN and type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /scannow)
  • Insert your XP CD into your CD/DVD-ROM drive if asked
  • Once the blue bar goes away, reboot your computer.
Post back how things are going after doing this.

Fenor

cor-ne-li-us

cor-ne-li-us

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the super-fast reply Fenor! I am on my PC at work now (only way I can get to the internet) so I'll try that when I get home tonight. I'll post the results when I've tried this. Thanks!

cor-ne-li-us

cor-ne-li-us

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi again Fenor,

I tried what you suggested. By hitting F8 on boot up I was able to go into the screen that let me select Safe Mode. I selected Safe Mode and hit Enter. The PC went through it's routine, but still froze on the "Windows is Starting Up" screen.

I tried it about a dozen times, all with the same result.

Here is a bit more info - after it freezes at that screen, the Hard Drive light flickers very slightly every once in a while. It is not a real "strong" light like when the PC boots up normally, but a really quick flicker at a fairly steady pace. Don't know if that helps or not...

Thanks again.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try taking about the RAM sticks and reseeding them. Blowing off the dust on the sticks themselves and the slots they go into. Also try booting up only have one stick in and try that stick in each slot. Do the same for the other stick.

Another thing you can try is to remove the AGP video card, if you're using one, and use the onboard video instead.

If you still have no luck booting the computer, even in safe mode trying the above mentioned procedures, the last resort is to do a REPAIR INSTALLATION of windows, using the link in my signature as a guide.

Good luck & let me know how things go!

Fenor

cor-ne-li-us

cor-ne-li-us

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I tried all that stuff - no luck. After I pulled the video card and was unsuccessful, I reassembled the PC and tried to boot into Safe Mode one more time. I was able to get into Safe Mode. But I tried to do the sfc /scannow and nothing happened. When I tried logging out of Admin the system locked up again. I tried re-booting a few times and it got stuck at the Windows Sarting Up screen.

I guess my next step is to try the repair you suggested. I'll let you know how it goes.

cor-ne-li-us

cor-ne-li-us

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Fenor,

The Repair did not work. I went through the whole routine and booted up - same problem. THe system freezes on the Windows is Starting Up Screen. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Does it boot up into Safe Mode after doing the REPAIR INSTALLATION?

Fenor

cor-ne-li-us

cor-ne-li-us

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
No it doesn't. It's doing exactly what it did before.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Unfortunately looks like you are going to have to do a full fresh format & install of Windows, which I hate suggesting, but not much else you can do if you can't even get into Safe Mode. :tazz:

Fenor

Advertisements

cor-ne-li-us

cor-ne-li-us

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Not good news. I'll give that a go. Thanks a lot for all your help!!!

:tazz:

Doorslam

Doorslam

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
cor-ne-li-us

you could also try running chkdsk on the hard drive, maybe you have some bad blocks or sectors.

If you boot off a Windows installation CD, you can start the Recovery Console by pushing "R" on the first menu. When it loads, you can run "chkdsk /f"

nogoodreason

nogoodreason

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey all.

It's interesting to note I've just had the exact same problem. Startup and shutdown were going increasingly slowly for about a week beforehand, then on 26th Nov it all buggered up and refused to get past the bootup screen unless I went into safe mode and did a system recovery from a few days previous. (and even that was only a temporary measure - allowed me to reboot/shut down for a day, but the next day the problem came back again)

What hardware do you have in there? I've listed mine on the side - I also have an LG DVD writer which has been making some funny noises lately. I suspected Win Updates to be the cause but aren't entirely sure it's not hardware-related (if we both had a Fatal1ty motherboard that died in the same week it wouldn't surprise me too much).

This is my first attempt at building a system which could very well have a part to play in my bootup problem, but the system had been running fine for 2 months and only had problems this Saturday, so I dunno. :tazz:
Anyway, I formatted C: and reinstalled Windows and everything's been going fine until I started installing Windows Updates. Then I got stuck on the boot screen, rebooted and hit F8 and selected 'log boot' (or something like that) and then I booted up fine.... but I haven't dared turn the computer off since then - so if anyone has any hasty replies they'd be appreciated!

Could anyone out there *without* a nuked C: confirm whether Microsoft released a Windows Update sometime in the last week - probably around the 25th??

Edit: I just noticed it doesn't display my system spec. It's:
AMD 64 3200+
Abit Fatal1ty AN8-SLI Motherboard with uGuru panel
NVidia GeForce 7800 GTX
2 Gigs Corsair RAM (which for some unknown reason refuse to run in dual mode)
2x 250 gig Seagate HD's
On-board soundcard (getting a much better, Fatal1ty X-Fi one for Xmas :) )
and some dust.

Edited by nogoodreason, 28 November 2005 - 10:43 AM.

Doorslam

Doorslam

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
nogoodreason,

I would try running diagonstics on your hard drive. A clean install of Windows should get rid of any Windows related problems. You can get the drivers from the manuafacturer. This will rule out if your hard drive is about to crash.

nogoodreason

nogoodreason

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I've just tried the START-->RUN sfc /scannow (in normal mode, not safe mode) but it refuses to believe I've inserted the XP disc and so won't perform the scan.

When I took the case apart there was a build up of dust around the fans, and a thin layer around the components (mainly gfx, sound and cpu - not HD's) -- I stuck a mini vac in there to try and suck it out but that didn't do much. Is dust likely to be a cause of this?

As far as Hard Drives go, I had initial drive problems with my C: , but send it back to ebuyer and they detected a problem and sent me a replacement. The likelihood of being sent 2 faulty drives isn't too high.... but how would I go about 'checking' a drive? I ran Run -->CHKDSK and it ran through a bunch of files then closed the window (am guessing the fact it didn't go 'error error' is a good sign?)

Cheers
~ Dan

Edited by nogoodreason, 28 November 2005 - 10:43 AM.