Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Win XP Home Stuck on Start Up

• Please log in to reply

cor-ne-li-us

cor-ne-li-us

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey all,

Thanks for the add'l info. I haven't tried doorslam's chkdsk suggestion yet, but I plan to and will let you know what happens.

I have a dell Dimension 4600. I was able to boot to a Utility Diagnostics Area. I ran numerous hardware checks yesterday including extensive HD checks and everything passed. So I don't suspect hardware anymore (though I can't totally rule it out either).

My system still gets stuck on the Windows Is Starting Up screen. I did a Windows Repair thinking this would help (see previous posts) and it didnt fix the problem. I have not wanted to re-format the HD yet as there is data on it that was not back up :tazz: that I wish to save.

I also suspect this could be a bad Windows update. My system was running fine until I updated Windows on 11/19. Thats when my trouble started.

Advertisements

nogoodreason

nogoodreason

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Okay... I'm appealing to others kindness here.

As I've formatted, all my WinUpdates display the same 'installed on' date so I can't determine which ones were the latest.

Could someone please please please go to Control Panel/AddRemove Progs and tick 'show updates' , then post the names and dates of the most recent updates (say, November and October).

This would be REALLY appreciated, as then I can go about deleting those specific updates individually, and shall report back if removing any of them fixes the delayed bootup problem.

Regards,
~ Dan

dkintheuk

dkintheuk

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have exactly the same problem with Windows Home on a Dell PC... it is like the PC is just super slow... like it can't get enough resources to move on from the "Windows is starting up..." screen.

Totally wierd - really cannot afford to rebuild PC but looks like i'll have to - any other bright ideas?

Rob.

dkintheuk

dkintheuk

• Pip
  • 3 posts
also just noticed that my keyboard is showing signs of the slowness...

If i am waiting at the Windows is starting up screen and i press the num lock key, it takes a good 10 seconds to change to being on or off and the same if i press caps lock or scroll lock.

It really is like the PC is struggling to get past something and it's whole memory resources are being used doing something ridiculous.

Spyware? Malware? Virus? Will keep trying.

nogoodreason

nogoodreason

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Have you guys all experienced this problem within the last week as myself and cor-neli-us have? If so I strongly suspect a Windows Update (or perhaps Virus Scanner Update) to be the cause.

I use Avast! Antivirus and Outpost Pro firewall, which are also set to download updates without bothering me. Do any of you use either of these?

If we can pinpoint all our system similarities we can pinpoint the source of the bug which'll really help kill it.

ps - I'm turning my computer off for the first time since the format in a minute - wish me luck it turns on again! (I'd advise anyone doing the same to go to Start/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore and creating a restore point to boot from while in safe mode if it dies the next day.

cor-ne-li-us

cor-ne-li-us

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I don't have Avast or Outpost, just Win XP firewall.

Also, I just ran chkdsk and the drive is fine. Have been attempting to boot into Safe Mode again, so far no luck.

dkintheuk

dkintheuk

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hiya, this PC has suffered in the last three days. Was 100% before then, so it could be the most recent update.

I've just had to bite the bullet and reload windows although i've done it as a second install on the same disk to see if i can work out what was wrong.

It is very odd, if it was the update then we'd see thousands of complaints (at least i would expect so).

Let me know any more news...

michaelthecreator

michaelthecreator

• Pip
  • 1 posts
or u can jus push Ctrl + Alt + Esc it takes u to the log on page from being stuck on "windows is starting up"