Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot install XP

• Please log in to reply

kevanis

kevanis

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

My PC would not boot. In safe mode it stopped at MUP.SYS

I decided to re-format and start again.

Reformatted using FDISK (NTFS) & FORMAT from a Windows98 start up floppy disc.

Re-booted with XP-pro CD but problem now is that when XP gets to the "Starting Set Up" bit, it stops. Blank screen, no disc activity at all.

I've replaced everything (and I mean everything) except M/B (PCchips M825G) & processor (Athlon 2000) but it will not go. I've even tried more than one copy of XP.

Now the weird bit. I can load Windows 98 and it runs perfectly. However, if I try and 'upgrade' to XP.....you guessed it, it stops at the "Starting Set Up" bit again. I also tried upgrading to Windows2000, same problem.

I can only assume that XP (& 2000) must look for or try to install something that 98 doesn't...but what?

Does anyone have any ideas, or is a new M/B and/or processor required?

Thanks in advance,

Kev. :tazz:

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi kevanis! Welcome to G2G!

One thing I want to point out, is that you DON'T need to use a windows 98 startup disk to install XP. During the XP installation you are given the option to delete/create partitions and format the drive XP will be installed on.

Now for your problem. What I suggest you do is take out everything that isn't needed during the install. Only things you need to be hooked up to the computer is a CD-ROM drive, the hard drive windows xp will be installed on, and an AGP card if your motherboard doesn't have onboard video. Take out all the PCI cards you have installed, like sound card, etc...

Now put the XP CD in and boot up the computer and when you get to the message to press any key to boot from cd..., press a key and windows setup will start. Post back how far you are able to get this time around.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 21 November 2005 - 06:55 AM.

kevanis

kevanis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Fenor,

Thanks for reply.

I used the Windows 98 floppy because I couldn't get past the 'Windows starting set-up' bit (which is before the XP disc format options).

Once I 'hit any key' to start loading from CD, WinXP checks my system, loads files required for set-up, re-boots (as it should) then stops!

I've already tried your suggestions. I removed everything that wasn't needed plus tried switching all non-essentials off in BIOS. It still cannot get past the 'starting set-up' message.

Any more ideas appreciated.

Kev

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Since you said it gets to the point where the computer reboots on it's own, then you've obviously gotten to the screen where you can delete/create partitions and format the drive. What I suggest you do is delete the current partition, create a new one and then let it do a full format of the drive in NTFS, not QUICK NTFS.

See how things go.

Fenor

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
during the setup process...it shouldn't be rebooting after the step of loading the neccessary files...it has no reason to reboot there...the setup doesn't reboot untill formatting the drive....and then once again once the install process is complete enough to boot into the os for final configuration....there's an issue occurring somewhere in the load process..

is this an original xp cd?
is this a full install cd?
( i know you said you tried mutiple coppies....and a 2000 disk...same questions for all of those cds)

kevanis

kevanis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Fenor & Dsenette,

OK, I'll try and answer both of you.

I can't get far enough into the set-up process to reach the XP format options. If the PC shouldn't re-boot then this may point to something. (?)

All I can say is, after it checks the system & loads up required files, the red moving indicator appears informing me that Windows is going to re-boot. It then re-boots, says 'starting windows set-up' then stops.

As I said/asked in my original post, WinXP (& Win2000) must either be looking for or trying to install something that Win98 doesn't need (Windows 98 running perfectly). But what?

Discs used;-

Windows XP home (with SP2) 1 year old (genuine retail copy borrowed from friend).
Windows XP Pro (pre SP1) (own retail copy which is approx 2-3 yrs old).
Windows XP Pro (with SP1) (a friends.....say no more!).
Winows 2000 (genuine retail copy borrowed from friend).

Cheers,

Kev.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i can't explain what's going on...but...the fact that the reboot is happening early is a deffinite issue.... i can only assume that your machine meets the minimum requirements for these os/s...

kevanis

kevanis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
PC is just over a year old.

AMD 2000 processor
512Mb RAM
120Gb HDD
64MB Graphics (onboard, but did try an 32Mb agp card - no help with prob).

Kev.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Download the hard drive utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive and do a complete Format of the drive. This is sometimes referred to as a quick format or full format and also a zero fill (full) or a zero fill (quick). Make sure you do the FULL FORMAT, which will take quit awhile to complete.

You can also download the Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD) using the link in my signature and boot the troublesome computer up with it and you will be able to choose HARD DRIVE UTILITIES and do a full format that way.

I also suggest you run the memory tester included on UBCD to make sure memory isn't the issue.

If these don't work, then we are looking at hardware failure. :tazz:

Fenor

kevanis

kevanis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi guys,

Good morning from frosty Scotland.

Just realised something. When I was on about the PC re-booting during setup it was when I was trying to upgrade from Win98 (which I can get to install).......hence the confusion (sorry). You guys were right about it not re-booting on a "clean" installation. That said, it still doesn't get as far as the XP format options screen on a clean install.

Anyway, tried suggestions re HDD manufactures utilities program to reformat......still the same, can't get past the "Starting Set Up" bit. (Tried another HDD with same result).

Haven't tried the memory test as I've tried 3 other memory modules plus put 'suspect' module into another M/C which worked without any probs.

So...It now looks like a hardware failure. I've, by a series of replacement, ruled out every thing except the Motherboard and processor. Bearing in mind that the system can run Win98, what's your thoughts? M/B or processor?

I'd still like to know what WinXP is doing or trying to do during setup that Win98 obviously doesn't !!

Kev.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Usually when one goes the other goes since they are so close together.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
One last thing you should try, and that is resetting the BIOS:

Lets have you try resetting the computers BIOS. Please do the follow:
  • Turn off your computer
  • Remove the power cord from the back of your computer
  • Open the side panel
  • Locate the CMOS battery (it's shiny stainless steel about the size of a nickel) and remove it
  • Wait at LEAST 5 minutes
  • Put the CMOS battery back in
  • Re-attach the side panel
  • Re-attach the power cord to the back of the computer
  • Power on your computer
You will probably get a CMOS checksum error first time booting after doing this. Don't worry this is NORMAL. It only means that you need to set the date & time on your computer again. It should say to press one of the Function keys or DEL to enter SETUP. Do so and reset the correct date & time. Make sure you SAVE CHANGES before you exit setup.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 22 November 2005 - 07:02 AM.

kevanis

kevanis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Fenor,

Thanks for the continuing help.

I've already tried resetting bios (just as you described....were you watching? :tazz: ). I also tried disabling all functions not essential, unfortunately it made no difference.

I've thought about flashing the bios but Im not keen to try as I haven't done it before (but have heard lots of stories of it going wrong!!).

I've been advised there should be no need to update the bios due to the fact that Win98 can load.

I know that there used to be viruses that could attack the bios, but again if it was infected Win98 surely wouldn't load.

What's your views?

Kev

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the only thing that i can see that would prevent xp from loading on a machine t hat loads 98 without a problem...would be a hardware issue....but..your hardware seems to be acceptable...unless some of the ram is truly not being recognized...

how much ram does 98 say is installed?

if it were a true motherboard or processor failure...98 wouldn't load either (or at least shouldn't)....of course...the chipset might be reporting the wrong processor specs to the system...but from my recolection....if your system isn't up to spec for xp....it tells you somewhere during the process

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Will also point out that I've had this problems on other machines where the jumper setting for the devices (hard drives & CD/DVD-ROM drives) was set to cable select instead of Primary/Slave. If you purchased the computer as a package deal from a company, like Dell, eMachines, etc..., then the jumpers are most likely set up this way.

Fenor