Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot install XP

• Please log in to reply

kevanis

kevanis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

Win98 reports correct amount of RAM.

I did notice that HDD had been set to CS but changed it to Master (didn't help).

I took the machine round to a mates last night who basicaly tried everything I've already tried (including your suggestions).

He runs Linux (Suse) on his M/Cs and tried installing that. It sailed in, no prob. I've been thinking about trying Linux for a while......maybe now's as good a time as any (cheaper than the alternative - new hardware).

I've just been reading up on Linux Ubuntu. Do you know much about this?.........Should I be re-posting this elsewhere?

Kev

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well....that depends on what you wan't to know...if you're looking for info on the best distro of linux...then just poke your head in the "other operating systems" forum....there's been probablyl no less than 20 discussions on that topic since i've started here....hehe...so probably not needed to start another thread on that subject.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
before you give up.....if you can..i think you should try flashing the bios (not reseting it..but upgrading it to the newest version)...it may make all the difference...plus it's the only thing you haven't tried