Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Norton tells me uninstall then reinstall

• Please log in to reply

min11

min11

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, A search for an old friend of google showed up this and another excellent help forum, so glad I looked now! I have Norton internet security 2005 installed and run XP professional 2002 (SP2) on my Dell. I have had endless issues since installing Norton. The most common one is that I get a message saying there has been a problem and Norton is closing down and that Norton must be uninstalled and reinstalled. I do this and it all works fine for a while and then it happens again. I'm sorry I didn't write down the exact message but I didn't expect to find these forums. I have been on the Symantec site and mailed them with the exact code but so far no reply. This has been going on for the last 3 months. I have tried to call them but decided that having to follow the error instructions is easier than the phone bill trying to get though to Symantec.

Any help or opinion gratefully appreciated

Min

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Have you tried looking at this link?

http://www.geekstogo...showtopic=43188

min11

min11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your reply. I dont have a problem uninstalling it, my problem is that I can update definitions and everything works fine. Then suddenly out of the blue I get an error saying Norton has ancountered a problem and most close, please uninstall and reinstall the program. I do this and it works fine again for ages until it does it again. It wont work until its uninstalled and reinstalled though. I have removed the thing totally includding the registry things and redownloaded the entire program but still I get the same error. Requests for advice from Symantec have gone unanswered.

I'm sorry I dont have much time to search the forum, 5 kids and a busy house.

Thanks again. :tazz:

HighYellowD

HighYellowD

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an annoying issue with Norton Internet Security 2005. I keep getting these pop-ups asking me whether I want to accept or block connection attempts. It's has interrupted me 4 times already as I've been typing this very message. I try to go into program control and modify my options, and I keep getting an error script message and it won't let me in. The error script keeps showing this: res://nisplug.dll//AdvancedFW.htm

How do I bypass this so I can finally turn off these annoying pop-ups.

Avohir

Avohir

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,002 posts
the simple answer is to ditch norton for something that doesn't charge you to cause you grief :tazz:

@min, do you have any other protection programs in place that might block registry changes? (teatimer, etc)

@HighYellowD I dont know where you would go to change that setting, not having it installed myself. I'd suggest looking on the symantec support pages

weaselman

weaselman

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
edited.

Edited by coachwife6, 28 November 2005 - 11:10 AM.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
high yellow.

this may be of help.

http://forums.techgu...d.php?p=2173112