Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Audio CD-R Burning Problem

• Please log in to reply

cjones72

cjones72

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi!
I'm currently using a Sony Vaio Laptop (about a year old). Over the past couple of months it has begun to burn audio CDs that skip. The first 3-5 tracks that are burned do not seem to have a problem with burning smoothly, but after that it is all down-hill. Bitrates of the tracks are all between 193-300 if that makes a difference. I have tried using different burning programs and playing the CDs in different players to insure that it is the actual writing that is the problem. I have tried burning at both high and low speeds. I haven't been converting songs out of mp3 form before burning. If that changes anything. (I do not know very, very much about computers.)

Please help, any ideas?

THANK YOU!
Carrie

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
what do you mean by "burning files taht skip"...

does it like...burn part of the track...then that track stops...and then starts over again? or is it more like the cd is scratched?

does the song skip on anything you play it in?

have you tried a drive cleaner?

also....where are yo ugetting the files that you are trying to burn?

cjones72

cjones72

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The tracks will play for a few seconds, then pause, just a split-second of silence, and then continue with another few seconds, and then there is another pause of silence. It doesn't sound as CDs do when they are scratched. The audio tracks play just fine in winamp/itunes/windows mp.

Both dwnlded files and files that I rip from original CDs are doing this once I try and copy them to a CD-R.

I don't know what a drive cleaner is (I am assuming this is probably not a good thing). :-(

Thank you,
Carrie

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
a drive cleaner is just a special cd used to clean the lasers on your cd burner....

if you can get your hands on a few things to test this it would be helpful..

can you get your hands on a different burner?
can you get your hands on a different brand of cd?

can you try converting the files that normally are skipping...over to wav format and burn them that way?

cjones72

cjones72

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I don't think that I can get my hands on another burner any time very soon. I have tried a couple of different brands of CD-Rs but can certainly try another.

I've read in other forums when trying to fix the problem that I may want to try converting to .wav format. I am not sure what to use in order to do this... ?

Thank you for trying to figure this out,
Carrie