Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how to hook up tothe harddrive to another computer as a slave

• Please log in to reply

keres

keres

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
can any1 help me i need 2 hook up my harddriv to another computer as a slave so i can reformatt my computer :tazz:

Advertisements

p_mii_nawy

p_mii_nawy

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
look at the jumper settings. make the hd that you want to format as slave or put the jumper on cable select

keres

keres

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
thx for the reply where r the jumper settings :tazz: or the jumper on cable select

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
a jumper is a small plastic thing that fits over the pins on a special spot on the back of the drive....look at the back of the drive...to one side of where the ribbon cable connects...there will be a bank of pins..(usually 4 sets of 2...why 4 when there are 3 settings? i dont know)....there should be a small plastic doodad bridging two of the pins...somewhere on the case of the drive in the area of this bank of pins you should see some letters etched onto the drive (cs, slv, mstr....someting like that)...put that jumper on the one that says slv...

keres

keres

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
hi dsenette thx for replyin bk ive done what u said i now need 2 connect my harddrive to my other computer to reformatt do i connect the ribbon cable and power supply cable to my hd which is goning 2 b the slave drive

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
use the same ribbon cable as your primary hd uses, if you can find the second connector on it. its usually grey in color and its just like the primary one except that its located in the middle of the cable and is a different color while the primary one is black. turn it so you can see the red line going down the side for pin 1, this must face the power connector. with 2 drives, just make sure the cable isn't twisted when you try to connect it to the second drive, if it's twisted then it's the wrong way around. most new drives have keyed connectors, so if it doesn't go in easily, don't force it.

find a free power connector that's sticking out of your power supply, any one will do as long as its flat and has 4 holes. connection isnt a problem because it only goes in one way. turn on the computer and as long as the jumpers are set right, you'll be fine.