Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What cpu to get?

• Please log in to reply

rmco2003

rmco2003

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I've decided to upgrade my PC a bit further and I've recently bought a graphics card which will be coming sometime this week, so with the new graphics card I'll have

Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz Socket 478 Processor
1 GB Ram
ATI Radeon X850 XT Platinum Edition

The problem with this is that I'll suffer bottlenecking because of my CPU speed, bearing in mind I need a Socket 478 processor, what speed would you reccomend to avoid bottlenecking, I can go up to £350.

Edited by rmco2003, 21 November 2005 - 10:47 AM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Something along the 3ghz line i would say, you will only really be able to get the same but faster.

rmco2003

rmco2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
The highest I've seen for a socket 478 is a 3.2 ghz processor, would this do?

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
What is the model number of your motherboard? You will have to be sure that your motherboard suppourts that speed of cpu and FSB. If your mobo supourts 800mhz fsb, dont bother with anything slower, get the 800mhz. Also when buying a processor, look at the L2 cache, because that determines processing power as well as speed.

rmco2003

rmco2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
My motherboard is a Soltek SL-865G3-L o/b VGA Socket 478 SATA Motherboard

rmco2003

rmco2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I've found a CPU, regarding my previous post about my motherboard model, will this CPU fit and work in my motherboard?

Misco No.: 75023 Manufacturer Code: (Intel) BX80546PG3200E
Intel P4 3.2E GHz 1MB 478 Pin 800MHz