Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unpredictable application hang with java virtual machine and win xp sp

• Please log in to reply

cigno5.5

cigno5.5

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi at all,
i'm new here, but i need a really great help.
I have a client/server java application (for who is friendly with java, it's based on ejb) where the server app runs on jre 1.4.1_05 and the client app runs on jre 1.4.1_03.
The problem did appear since i'm using windows xp with sp2 on client side.
The client classes runs throught java web start mechanism.

The problem is totally random. The client application hangs with no reason, after user's click. I catched no precise condition that generates the lock state. There isn't no java exceptions. The "javaw.exe" process still remain in windows' task manager with cpu at 0%. But overriding the application window with another window, there is no application screen refresh.

No message (error or warning) appear in the event viewer except this one:
Event Type: Error
Source:	 Application Hang
Category:   (101)
Event ID:   1002
User:	   N/D

this message is related to javaw.exe process

Only one time happened that winxp killed javaw.exe process, after about 15-20 minutes from lock state.
When killed it, winxp generated the following message:
Event Type:  Information
Source:	  DrWatson
Category:	none
Event ID:	4097
User:		N/D
Description: Application C:\Programs\Java\j2re1.4.1_03\bin\javaw.exe 
			 generated application error. 
			 Exception 80000003 generated on address 7C911230 
			 (ntdll!DbgBreakPoint)

i'm really desperated.
I assume that it is a bug related to communication between jvm and winxp's socket layer. And i assume that is a allocation or opened connection problem, java programming has the smallest part in the situation.
If usefull i'll post hijackthis and process explorer nt report log.

thanks in advance to everyone can help me! :tazz: :)

Edited by cigno5.5, 21 November 2005 - 10:47 AM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
No one has helped you yet, so I'll push it back upstairs with one suggestiion, that you try updating your JRE on both machines, which is now up to version _10.

mdoc

mdoc

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Go here and install Java Runtime Environment Version 5.0 Update 5.
http://www.java.com/...load/manual.jsp

there are two programs; you can install either one.
1) JRE vs 5.0 update 5 (normal user)
2) J2SE vs 5.0 update 5 (developer's)

Then remove all previous versions of JRE in Add/Remove Programs (EXCEPT the version 5.0 upgrade 5). Then reboot.

The Java webpages include a routine to verify your installation of version 5.0 update 5 (located at http://www.java.com/.../installed.jsp), but as of 2 days ago it is not working right and they are investigating. There is another page to "Test your Java Virtual Machine (JVM)" at
http://www.java.com/...help/testvm.xml

Go there to verify functionality.

JRE 1.5.0_05 is the current version. All other versions below this version number should be removed, as per above.

Java pages will say to *keep* previous versions of JRE, but to avoid potential exploits the previous versions should be removed.

Note that I cannot say that this will fix your problem, but perhaps only a part of it.

Edited by mdoc, 22 November 2005 - 07:15 PM.

mdoc

mdoc

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
One more thing....

Sun speaks with a forked tongue in regards to removing older, vulnerable versions of their JRE. From their last Security Bulletin on Vulnerability With Java Runtime Environment May Allow Untrusted Applet to Elevate Privileges
http://tinyurl.com/7olls

And then this:
http://www.java.com/.../5000070400.xml

Edited by mdoc, 22 November 2005 - 10:02 PM.

cigno5.5

cigno5.5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
ok, thanks to everybody for suggestion. I cannot install the jre1.5 for many reasons related to the application.
trusting ITS employee (never trust ITS employees! :) ) i assumed that he installed the jre's version 1.4.2_10 but it was false. He tried jre version 1.4.1_03 and 1.4.2_06. Application hang in both cases.
but...
making some test on local lan in my company with a clean winxp sp2 machine i noticed a strange swing's behavior. Some internal boxes of application's gui disappear after click. In that moment... :tazz: ... idea!
Is it possible that java web start make problems???
And so i did some things. The problem context is formed by three client machines. On two (of three) i installed the jre 1.4.2_10, in the last machine i installed jre 1.4.1_03 with java web start. I took jnlp file and i launched one time the application. After this i took the jar libraries cached by java web start and i made a simple .bat file that launch the application bypassing java web start mechanism.
Now the three computers are in testing phase...if in this week it doesn't hangs i'm sure that the problem is the oldest jre and the java web start mechanism.

I'll posting the test's results!
thanks to everybody!

java_dev

java_dev

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Did you get the problem resolved eventually? Can you please post how you managed to resolve this problem? I am facing a similar problem with my Java Web Start applications.