Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Empty Device Manager

• Please log in to reply

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Ok so I have an empty device manager. This happend after Panda A/V was installed. I've uninstalled the program and checked the registry entries which are intact and ran the chkdsk /f /r [found via this thread: http://www.geekstogo...=Device Manager] and it still is not coming up. Any other ideas on where to go with this before I try the repair console?

Oh when chkdsk ran.. it ran for hours and never went back to the desktop. It came up with a message saying that a device driver was causing a problem with going into standby.

Thanks for the help guys. :tazz:

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi dnbfreak!

Please download the attached file and save it somewhere on your computer where you will remember it's location. Once you have it downloaded, locate the file on your computer, double-click to open the zip file and see it's contents, then double click on the devicemanagerrestore.reg file to run it. Click Yes to the warning message asking if you are sure you want to merge the information in this file with the registry. After that, reboot your computer and then once rebooted check the device manager and see if everything is there again.

After you are done doing with that, even if the Device Manager is now showing your devices in it, go to the Malware Forum and do all the steps located in the START HERE. If you are still having problems after going through all the self-help tools listed there, then please post a HiJackThis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help solve your current problem.

Fenor

Attached Files

Edited by Fenor, 21 November 2005 - 02:09 PM.

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
I ran the program but it didn't change anything

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Then do what I suggested in my last post, go to the Malware Forum.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 21 November 2005 - 02:41 PM.

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
my system is clean.. it didn't do this until after I installed Panda AV.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Trust me, you may think your system is clean, but it isn't. Let the experts over there tell you it's clean. :tazz:

Fenor

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
I fixed it with the apropos fix

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Which is related to malware as I said earlier. :tazz:

Glad you got it fixed!

Fenor

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
I have Spysweeper, HJT, and Trend Micro running (and updating constantly) so I don't know what happend. I took off Trend Micro and stupidly went to Panda and as soon as I installed it.. it went crazy. I'll stick with Trend Micro from now on.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
That would be a good idea. If you want a good free A/V program I suggest you get AVG.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 21 November 2005 - 03:23 PM.

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
I tried AVG but I still like Trend Micro better. Anyway, thanks for the help. :tazz: