Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with XP device manager

• Please log in to reply

Horrendus01

Horrendus01

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Alright, I'm desperate here for help. For some reason or another, my network connections icons have disappeared. This is not my problem. The problem is that in searching for a fix for that problem, I found a fix that required me to enter the Device manager to check if all of the correct devices were enabled and working correctly. When I opened the device manager, it is completely blank. Through hours of internet searching, I have tried many a fix, including the permissions fix for the Enum registry key and the plug n play fix. neither of these fixes has worked for me, nor have any variations of them. Please does anyone know of a fix for this problem?

If you suggest the permissions fix for the Enum reg key, when I attempt to check the "Replace permission entries" option and hit apply, I get an error saying it could not replace the permission entries on certain keys. This might be the reason this fix does not work, but I have not come across any way to make it so that error does not show up.

If you suggest the fix requiring me to enable Plug n Play, both plug n play AND Universal Plug n Play are enabled, and still, nothing in the device manager.

Please...anyone have a fix for this?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.annoyance...inxp/1105751079 <--this article suggest that it could be some services disabled and not starting...and suggests that you start most of the services in services.msc...except for the ones you know you won't use

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Horrendus01! Welcome to G2G!

Please download the attached file and save it somewhere on your computer where you will remember it's location. Once you have it downloaded, locate the file on your computer, double-click to open the zip file and see it's contents, then double click on the devicemanagerrestore.reg file to run it. Click Yes to the warning message asking if you are sure you want to merge the information in this file with the registry. After that, reboot your computer and then once rebooted check the device manager and see if everything is there again.

After you are done doing with that, even if the Device Manager is now showing your devices in it, go to the Malware Forum and do all the steps located in the START HERE. If you are still having problems after going through all the self-help tools listed there, then please post a HiJackThis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help solve your current problem.

Fenor

Attached Files

Edited by Fenor, 21 November 2005 - 02:09 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.annoyance...inxp/1132526217

this one says that they booted into safe mode and found a broken instance of the bios pnp extension...disabled it and removed it...and it worked

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I have also found that removing Microsoft Security Update KB905749 has also solved this problem for many other people.

Fenor

Horrendus01

Horrendus01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Alright I must thank you all for your help. A friend of mine who is a computer genius (if you ask me) directed me to the aproprosfix to use in safemode and it fixed everything in about 3 minutes. Thanks for all your help and suggestions. Hopefully this thread will help others fix the problem if they have it.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that was probably gonna be our next step...but we wanted to rule out the other problems before we pushed you off on malware....we've been having a few of these cases lateley and they either turn out to be either windows issue....or apropos....so far the one's i've seen have been split down the middle...half apropos and half windows stupidity...so...we didn't want to send you over to malware...for them to just send you back....since you started here....we figured we'd take you first....but congratulations on fixing the issue!! good job

aceccucci

aceccucci

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Removed

We appreciate you trying to help here but posting fixes within the registry is a dangerous place to send people unless they are sure they know what they are doing, Secondly posting of Malware removal advise is not permitted but others then the staff, If your interested in helping to fight the malware battle see this Topic

As dsenette said if you suspect you have a malware issue please follow his advise

Edited by don77, 23 November 2005 - 11:18 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
horrendus has fixed his problem. editing the registry is dangerous...and the steps layed out by aceccucci should not be followed unless you know what y ou are doing

Apropros is deffinitely a prolifferant and awefull piece of malware...but just because you know what it is...and there is a tool available to clean it...you must know how to use this tool...we have properly trained staff capable of teaching you how to use this tool correctly, ensuring that the least amount of damage will be done to your machine... as with most malware....this infection has the possibility of carrying other infections into your system...i suggest that you follow the instructions bellow to ensure that your machine is clean of infection

Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.