Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

will not upload SP2

• Please log in to reply

relmore

relmore

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hi,

I have just rid myself of all malware, spyware, adware, and viruses with the generous help of andy over in the Malware section. I am now attempting to upgrade to sp2. in my controlpanel>system it lists XP sp1 home edition 2002. everytime i try to get xp2 from microsoft i get

[Error number: 0x8DDD0007]
You need to restart your computer to finish installing a program or updates. You cannot view or get other updates from the site until you restart.

Rebooting has not solved the problem. anyone have an idea as to what the problem is?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi relmore!

Hi,

I have just rid myself of all malware, spyware, adware, and viruses with the generous help of andy over in the Malware section. I am now attempting to upgrade to sp2. in my controlpanel>system it lists XP sp1 home edition 2002. everytime i try to get xp2 from microsoft i get

[Error number: 0x8DDD0007]
You need to restart your computer to finish installing a program or updates. You cannot view or get other updates from the site until you restart.

Rebooting has not solved the problem. anyone have an idea as to what the problem is?

When you go to START-->TURN OFF COMPUTER, there should be a symbol attached to the TURN OFF button. This means that Automatic Updates has downloaded some updates that you need, but won't be installed until you shut down your computer. Shut down your computer and leave it be until it turns itself off complete, then turn it back on and try to get SP2 again.

FEnor

relmore

relmore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
hi fenor

I did not have any symbol attached to the turn off button. I did however shut down the computer until it completely powered off and then turned it on but still am recieving the error.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Are you trying to install SP2 from Windows Update from from a seperate file?

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 21 November 2005 - 03:15 PM.

relmore

relmore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
i am attempting to download and install using microsoft update directly. i recieve the error right after the screen where it says checking to see if your computer has the latest version of windows updating software

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Go to START-->RUN and type regedit, this will open the registry editor. Navigate to the following registry entry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto
Update\RebootRequired
. You do this by hitting the '+' symbol next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then hitting the '+' symbol next to SOFTWARE, etc... until you get to the entry RebootRequired. Tell me if this entry is there or not.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 21 November 2005 - 03:16 PM.

relmore

relmore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
yes the folder reboot required is there

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Right click on the RebootRequired folder and choose EXPORT and save it to your desktop. Then right click on the RebootRequired folder and choose DELETE. Reboot your computer and try to get SP2 again.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 21 November 2005 - 03:20 PM.

relmore

relmore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
thanks fenor! i am no longer recieving the error. do you recommend using automatic updates? i currently have it enabled and am recieving the files through the auto update as i type. will this auto upgrade to sp2 or no?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I myself prefer to manually check for windows updates on my own, but if you are a forgetful person, then I suggest you keep it turned on.

Fenor