Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

System reboots on its' own

• Please log in to reply

DavidReno

DavidReno

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
My computer intermittently reboots all by itself. Sometimes after being on 5 minutes and others after hours. Sometimes it comes back up andworks sometimes it does not. Anyone have any ides what could cause this. I have tried the internal power supply and it made things worse.

Advertisements

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
what do you mean tried the internal power supply, you mean you replaced it? if not, thats what it sound sl;ike, you need a new one, or you system is running too how, check your temps and post back with them, right after it reboots, go in to your bios, and check PC health status, and post the temps

DavidReno

DavidReno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Replaced the power supply and it actually rebotted more often. So I put the old internal PS back in. But now the system reboots almost instantly after start-up and continually reboots so that I cannot even begin to look for the problem. I doubt it's a temperature issue, because the fans are all working and I have the side off of the tower. The longest I have had the computer up for, at any one time, w/o reboot in the last week is 3 minutes. Then the systems keeps restarting and restarting until it freezes up.

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
well, hmm, what wattage power supply di dyou get? if the new one is too low output, then it won't help, it will make it worse, and so does having the case sid eoff, having that off screwes up the pressur ein there and the airflow, and it makes tempatures worse,ok, well, what kind of specs are the system, and how far do you get when you turn it on b4 it reboots again? and hav eyou tried a differnt outlet in the house?

DavidReno

DavidReno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I put in the same wattage that came out. I have put the cover back on and it still has the problem. AMD athelon 1.6 Mhz, 512 RAM about four years old, windos XP, what other info do you need? Tried it in severaloutlets and houses in Jax, never has worked since I moved up here from Orlando in september. Actually took it back to orlando and rehooked up , had no issues for 2 whole days. As how long before reboot, the other day it was up for 5 min, rebooted continually 6 or 8 times then I shut it off.l Other have suggested swapping the Motherboard or swapping out ram

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I was reading an article in Maximum PC awhile back about a lot of motherboards being shipped with defective capacitors. So take a good look at all of the caps. Look for anything that is bowed or puffed out. They were saying that boards with defective caps were constantly rebooting......

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
hmm, it could be bad power survice in your city too, if you said it worked sown in florida for 2 days....try hookign it up to a UPS, or a true voltage powerstipe or our outlet, see ift hat helps