Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

building 1st pc

• Please log in to reply

DaYzd

DaYzd

• Pip
  • 2 posts
yay my 1st post.. ive been here forever and never said anything :tazz:

ive been thinking about building this pc for about 4 months now, im currently running on a 800mhz amd duron(yea please shoot me).heres the list of things im going to buy, i researched alot but just need to check with the elite pc builder peoples(you lol) to keep from making a mistake ^_^

1st: we have the - ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
ive been told it was a awesome mobo but im not sure whether to get the deluxe or the premium people with premium said it had some issues

2nd: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor
looks good?yea i cant afford dual core :)

3rd: OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Platinum System Memory
supposedly the best overclocking/stable ram

4th: ASPIRE X-Infinity ATXB6KLW-BK/420 Black Computer Case With Side Panel Window
not sure about case but its 55 bucks and shows tempature guage on the front of case

5th: eVGA Geforce 6800GS 256-P2-N386 Video Card(starting with 1.. might buy another in few months)
blah i have no idea what to buy here.. this is coming from the guy with a nvidia riva tnt2

6th: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum
ok yea a sound card..until a year ago i didnt even know what a sound card was(current pc is running off of the board i think)

7th: i think im broke by now so ill buy a $20 keyboard and a mouse..no idea what to do for a moniter

well as you can see, im trying lol.i just want a pc i can be proud of! finally getting rid of this hunk of junk.
i know you can go out and buy a gaming rig for $1500 off alienware or some place like that but it wont be as good as the one you can build yourself, will it?

total cost: $950

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its generally better and cheaper to build yourself, you could save some money on the soundcard the onboard is good enough and you can always get an x-fi sound card when the prices come down later( thats what im doing) the 6800GS i would reccomend and its the only card i would reccomend about doing sli with(just remember you need the same card from the same company to get it to work). If you want to save some more money you could go a gig of ram its perfectly adequate for running games well, it will save you a bit of money and you can afford a half decent monitor.

I use a samsung 913N 19" 8ms very cheap and the disadvantages are really quite minor(would have liked a DVI but there is a version with the DVI as well as an upgraded version with a 4ms response, there is also the excellent hyundai equivalent which was a little more expensive and just barley out my budget at the time i was buying my monitor)

DaYzd

DaYzd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Its generally better and cheaper to build yourself, you could save some money on the soundcard the onboard is good enough and you can always get an x-fi sound card when the prices come down later( thats what im doing) the 6800GS i would reccomend and its the only card i would reccomend about doing sli with(just remember you need the same card from the same company to get it to work). If you want to save some more money you could go a gig of ram its perfectly adequate for running games well, it will save you a bit of money and you can afford a half decent monitor.

I use a samsung 913N 19" 8ms very cheap and the disadvantages are really quite minor(would have liked a DVI but there is a version with the DVI as well as an upgraded version with a 4ms response, there is also the excellent hyundai equivalent which was a little more expensive and just barley out my budget at the time i was buying my monitor)

thxs for help :tazz: since i can do without sound card.. its gone lol.im going to buy the 2gb ram though, hope it will be enough to run without virtual memory slowing pc down.whats the major difference between venice core 3500+ and a dualcore amd?>.<

i havent really been a pc gamer ever unless you count ragnarok online for about 5000 hours of play, mostly because this pc couldnt handle the games i wanted ~_~ i did have cs at one time but i couldnt ever kill anyone(bunny hoppers!!!!!)..but at ps2 online shooters i totally owned people.

hope this pc turns out good ^_^ at least newegg has a buy over 500$ get 6 months to not pay deal lol

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The dual cores are the dogz bollox of cpus they are very good for pretty mucj anything you would car to do with them, well you will have a good time with your new PC games are sooo much better on the PC you wont believe it(more choice as well better quality bigger games so many things are better). Virtual memory really doesnt slow your pc down much at all especially if you have a decent HD, i was just playing COD2 on as near full settings as anyone could want and i only got one hang up when some silly person turned off the wireless router. So if its between a decent monitor and an extra gig of ram i would go with the monitor really isnt much point in a good pc if you cant see how good it is.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Ya, call of duty runs nicely. I have a 6800 gt but mine is toally overclocked and all settings to the max. A stock 6800 gt will run everything at max and I know a 6800 gs will also. The 6800 gs is the best bang for your buck now, the gt used to be when it first came out also.

2gb of ram will be nice and that is the perfect amount of ram. Its not too high or to low of memory, just right.. You can run any game with that amount of memory. :tazz:

Dont let people talk you into just 1gb of ram and say 1gb of ram will play any game out..

It could, but games like battlefield 2 recommends 1.5gb of ram and that game eats up memory on high settings.

Edited by jrm20, 21 November 2005 - 06:30 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah 2 gig is very nice but its something that easily upgraded later and the prices drop in ram with time so by the time you really need two gig it wont cost as much as it does know to get the good stuff. And like i said no point having great performance if you cant see the great performance.

Edited by warriorscot, 21 November 2005 - 06:33 PM.