Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer Problems. . .

• Please log in to reply

Millie10

Millie10

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello..
Currently, I am having issues with my 'COMPAQ' Printer.
It's the U650 Series.
I have no idea what to do, and my grandson doesn't know much about Windows XP, only Windows 98.
When I try to print something. . . it doesn't print. I don't know very much about computers so please help me if you can. I will cooperate to the best of my ability. Thanks in advance . . . .

~Millie

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Millie10...Welcome to G2G!

Has this printer worked in the past or is it a new install?

wannabe1

Millie10

Millie10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey, Wannabe1. Thanks for your reply.
Yes, indeed, the printer did work in the past, but that was before I moved here.
Which was about.. 9½ months ago.
I have no idea what to tell you about it though.
(Hey wannabe1, this is Oniketsoku, from a little while ago, I'm trying to help.. with no sucess lol)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Millie10...and you, too, Oniketsoku! (How's that Win98 machine running?)

Right click on My Computer and then Properties. Click on the Hardware tab and then on the Device Manager button. Look in the list for Printers and click on the + to expand the catagory. (Note...if your printer connects via USB, it will be listed under Ports). Right click on your printer and choose "Uninstall". Accept the change and exit Device Manager.

Restart your machine and see if Windows will reinstall it for you.

Let me know if this works for you...there are other options available for this, but this is always my first step.

wannabe1

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
im just posting on this name for now - i couldnt figure out how to open device manager on XP hehe
post in a sec

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Hunh..
There's only a General and And shortcuts tab under 'properties' of my computer. :tazz:

Edited by Oniketsoku, 21 November 2005 - 05:35 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Double click on the top border of the properties window and see if that restores the tabs.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
No.. :tazz:

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
There was no MyComputer icon on her desktop I took it from the start menu and put it on the desktop :tazz:

If that makes any difference.

Edited by Oniketsoku, 21 November 2005 - 05:49 PM.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Hey.. I gotta go, now.
I'm gonna leave this up to her to fix and I'll look at it every now and then from my PC.
Later Wannabe1
Oh and the Win98 Machine is working great thanks to you :tazz:
~Oni

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok Millie10...guess it's just you and me...

We're going to do a registry edit...don't worry, I'll make it easy for you... :tazz:

Open the file that's attached to this post (properties1.txt) by clicking on it. It should open in notepad. Click on File in the tollbar at the top and choose Save as... In the resulting window in the "Save in" box (at the top), use the drop down menu to select Desktop. In the "File name" box (under the text box), type properties.reg . In the "Save as Type" box, use the drop down menu and select "All Files". Then click Save.

Now go to the desktop and right click on the file you just saved...properties.reg and select Merge. Click "Ok" and accept the change.

Reboot and try the My Computer properties again.

Let me know if this restores the tabs...

wannabe1

Attached Files

Edited by wannabe1, 21 November 2005 - 06:15 PM.