Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FREEZE Please wait Windows is starting up

• Please log in to reply

kevinski

kevinski

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
CONTINUED FROM TOPIC:
Xp pro says starting windows but never does

--------------------

i get to a screen that says 'please wait, windows is starting up' and my pc freezes there, the orange processing led on the front of my computer stops, indicating that the system is idle.

i can get into safe mode but not with networking. i can get into safe mode with command prompt.

i have an xp pro sp1 disc but i'm running sp2 on my hard drive

i have been in the recovery tool on the cd and tried things like fixboot and fixmbr but they haven't solved my problem

any ideas on what i could do now?

my extreme last resort is to reformat my hard drive, but i really don't want to do that! i have so much valuable stuff on it which i can't recover if i do reformat.

------------

I suggest both of you do a REPAIR INSTALLATION of windows, using the link in my signature as a guide. If you don't have your XP CD, post back and we can try other options.

kevinski: That's okay if you have SP2 on your harddrive, you will just need to redo all the Windows Updates after doing a REPAIR INSTALLATION.

kevinski, I also suggest that you start your own topic please, or follow along with this one quietly until it is resolved.

Thanks,

Fenor

-------------

i used my windows xp pro cd to repair windows and it worked. (well it basically led me throught the windows installation process and let me use windows normally for a few minutes)

then my computer crashed as i was installing such things as flash player, msn messenger, my sound cards etc.

now i'm back to where i was before with the 'windows is starting up' dialog being the point where my pc freezes.

it still runs in safe mode but now i'm running sp1 not sp2 so i've gone a step backwards so to speak.

does this mean that the only solution now would be to reformat the hard drive?

Edited by kevinski, 21 November 2005 - 05:01 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello kevinski...

If you are able to run in Safe Mode, but not in Normal Mode...chances are that is is a driver causing the problem. Can you provide me with more information on your system? If you are able, download Everest Home Edition, install it, run it using the "Report" icon, choose "All Pages" and then "HTML". Attach a log to this thread.

wannabe1

kevinski

kevinski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
i managed to install everest on my pc through downloading off this computer and transferring the setup file to my broken computer

i ran the test but it got to near the end and it stopped responding

'directx music' is the one where it froze, it got through all the others ok

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

then my computer crashed as i was installing such things as flash player, msn messenger, my sound cards etc.

Did the computer hang when you installed the sound card drivers?

wannabe1

kevinski

kevinski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
well everest stick on that bit when it gets to 33/43 (i don't know what the 43 means)

my sound card isn't really a sound card, its mysony hifi which has an optical out on it that goes to some sort of modulator that goes to my pc.

its worked fine in the past

shall i try starting windows with my hifi unplugged from my pc?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
kevinski...

Sounds like its hanging at the memory read/write benchmark test. Do you have a floppy drive in the machine that we can run a test from?

wannabe1

kevinski

kevinski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
yeah i do, but i have only one floppy disk, is that enough?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...that's all it takes.

Have you run any tests on your RAM yet? If not, download MEMTEST, extract the files, and copy them to a floppy disk. Put the floppy in the machine and restart.

Let this run for at least an hour...the longer it runs the better the test of RAM. Watch for any failures.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 21 November 2005 - 07:09 PM.

kevinski

kevinski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
i did a report in everest on the memory read/write/latency

here it is

Attached Files

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
kevinski...

That shows that the memory passes with a single pass...go ahead and run the MEMTEST. If you wand to give it a real good test, run it on one stick at a time...

Also, if you can, get me a full Everst report and attach it...

wannabe1

Advertisements

kevinski

kevinski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
i have started the memtest, its running now.

i don't think it's doing one stick at a time but it shouldn't matter should it? i only have two sticksof RAM.

i got a new piece of RAM about a week ago, but it's not been causing me any problems since i installed it.

i suppose that may prove to be the problem if any.

what shall i do with the memtest results?

just make a note of any 'fails'?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
MEMTEST is a pass/fail test...if you get any failures, the RAM is unreliable. If you get a failure, pull one stick of RAM out of the machine and run the test again...if it passes, remove that stick and run the test on the other stick.

Were you having these problems before replacing the RAM?

wannabe1

kevinski

kevinski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
no i wasn't having an problems before i upgraded this Ram

but there aren't 'problems' this is just the one thing that isn't happening

i tried to install an evaluation version of microsoft visio 2003 which i downloaded from microsoft, however i cancelled the installation mid-way through.

would this have caused any problems? maybe it was overwriting some default settings?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you tried a System Restore to before you installed the MS eval?

kevinski

kevinski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
yes i tried system restore beforehand. but it didn't work because it kept going back to the "please wait... windows is starting up..." screen, then when i ran safe mode again it notified me that system restore had not been successful the lsat time.

i have 6 results of memtest after leaving it on last night

walltime 6:31:45
cached 1536m
rsvd mem 84k
mem map e820-std
cache on
ecc off
test std
pass 5
errors 1
ecc errors 0

and the error data: