Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

FREEZE Please wait Windows is starting up

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi kevinski...

Looks like there is a bad stick of RAM in there. Pull one stick of RAM as I suggested earlier and run MEMTEST on one stick at a time to see if you can duplicate the error. If you get the error again, replace that stick and see if your machine behaves a little better.

wannabe1

Advertisements

kevinski

kevinski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
i tried to boot up my machine with each piece of RAM separately but both times it still went to the 'please wait... windows is starting up...' screen

shall i still run the memtest anyway? from the results before is said there was one error, does that mean that only one of the piece of RAM is malfunctioning?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
kevinski...

Yes, run the MEMTEST on each stick. Also try the RAM (one stick at a time) in each slot...I recently ran into a problem with a bad slot on the motherboard.

I'd still like to have a look at a full Everest report...this may be related to a driver, as well.

wannabe1

kevinski

kevinski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
ok i tested out each piece of RAM in both slots separatley and the results stated there were no errors at all. i tried to run everest again and it still stalls at the 'directx music' stage

does this indicate a driver problem?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
kevinski...

Pull the Sony card, disable the device in Device Manager, and see if the system stabalizes. If it does, we are probably looking at an outdated or incompatable driver for that card. See if you can run the full Everest report with the card removed and attach it here for me. Also post the model number for the card...once it has been removed, Everest will not list it in the report.

wannabe1

kevinski

kevinski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
hey, i unplugged my sony hifi and re-enabled my in-built sound card and ran another everest report

it worked!

heres the report

Attached Files

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What's the full name and model number of the Sony card...it would appear that this is the source of your problem...

wannabe1

kevinski

kevinski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
sony cav-u5 usb digital converter

model no. cav-u5
serial no. 505736

it's been working for the last 2 years though. occasionally when i unplug it and plug itback in i have to uninstall it and reinstall it, but after a while it just loads up automatically with windows

also windows is still is still displaying the 'please wait...' dialog box when i start up my computer

Edited by kevinski, 22 November 2005 - 12:44 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
kevinski...

I've been all over the Sony site and, evidently, there are no updated drivers available for this converter. Leave it out for the moment while we troubleshoot a little more.

The system still hanging at start up is a little troubleing. Are there any event codes listed in the Event Viewer? Start > Run...type eventvwr.msc click Ok. Look under both the System and Application (left pane) headings and note any errors or red notifiers in the right pane. List a few of them here if they are present.

wannabe1

kevinski

kevinski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
in application:
VSS and EventSystem

in system:
DCOM, redbook, and service control manager are the errors that show up when i'm trying to run windows

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
kevinski...

Click Start then Run and type chkdsk /f (Note the space before /f) and click "OK". This procedure is going to want to run on reboot so go ahead and type Y at the prompt and press "Enter" Reboot your machine. This might take a while depending on what it finds...Do Not interupt this operation!

Let me know if the machine still hangs on startup...

wannabe1

kevinski

kevinski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
yep, it still hangs... it didn't seem to find anything

Edited by kevinski, 22 November 2005 - 03:55 PM.

kevinski

kevinski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
what more can i do to try and revive it now?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
kevinski...

Run the REPAIR to your installation of XP again, but with only the one stick of RAM and the Sony Card uninstalled. Let's see if you get a cleaner repair this time. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can.

wannabe1

kevinski

kevinski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
well i re-installed windows again, i'm on it now scanning for viruses. i use avast and also eTrust EZ Antivirus.

EZ Antivirus has popped up saying that the file c:\windows\system32\msupdate.dll is infected with 'Win32.Soclaip.B'

it is asking me to reboot my system now to permanently clean the infected items, but i'm afraid that if i do then my machine will go back to hanging at startup.

this infection cannot be found on eTrusts website, nor does it show up on google. the alert is telling me that i have the exact same file (same filename and directory) 61 times! surely this is not possible. is it the program that is having a problem?

i'm doing a scan with that program now as well as scanning with avast. EZ has said that that virus has been cleaned and that another one has been deleted. AVAST isn't saying i have any viruses at all yet!

do you know what's going on?

help!

Edited by kevinski, 24 November 2005 - 01:41 PM.