Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics card

• Please log in to reply

hip_notic

hip_notic

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
whats up guys im kind of new to the forums ive been browsing around here for awile but havent made any posts but i have a question for you guys i have a dell dimension 3000 and i need a new graphics card so i can get a little better fps on some of the games i play and i was wondering if this card would be able to be installed on my computer heres link

here are my specs

intel celeron d procesor 330 (2.66GHz) and 256 cache
512mb ram
integrated intel extreme graphics 2
80GB 7200 RPM ultra ata hard drive
windows xp home
intel pro 100m integrated pci nic card
intel® 82865g graphics controller
pci slots (3)

dont know what specs i was supposed to put because im kinda new to this but do any of you guys think this will work on my comp cause it was the best PCI card i could find for a good price

Advertisements

hip_notic

hip_notic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
bump.. ?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as long as you have a free pci slot it shouldn't be a problem...you will have to disable the onboard video card before installing the pci card though..as far as whether it will help with your games..i don't know...that would depend on the game and it's requirements

hip_notic

hip_notic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ok thanks

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
That should do fine. But if I were you I would get this one:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814133134

and not just because i like nvidia better, its 20 bucks cheaper, and it has a 270mhz clock rather than 240, and i hear it overclocks well. it supports opengl 1.4 rather than 1.3, and from the reviews, this card runs UT2004, HL2, CSS with the graphics on high! (according to a few peoples reviews). I also heard it runs BF2, but probably not on high settings, but hey, its a $$ midrange card, and thats pretty good for the price seeing that pci is more expensive than agp and pcie. but either card you get is a well worthy upgrade from intel extreme graphics.

hip_notic

hip_notic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ya thanks thats a pretty good card but i was reading the reviews and it says its not that good for fps but thats the main reason i want a graphics card is for some higher fps also the card only has 128mb memory wear as the other has 256mb but anyway thanks for the replay

Edit: Which one of these cards do you think would run battlefield 2 better Ati nvidia

also the ati card says directx 8 and opengl 1.3

when

the nvidia says directx 9 and opengl 1.4

does that mean that if i get the ati card i cant play games with opengl 1.4 or above or if the game is directx 9 then i cant play them or when i get the card can i upgrade the drivers for them to make them directx 9 and opengl 1.4 compatibul

Edited by hip_notic, 22 November 2005 - 05:20 PM.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
no dont worry about not being able to play opengl 1.4 games with the 1.3 card because there will probably be a new driver or such, that will change that, plus, i dont think any game "requires" opengl over version like 1.2.

you do not need 256mb of ram with either of these cards. that is a fact. the 256mb or ram kicks in when you are gaming in resolutions in excess of 1600x1200. most monitors cant achive that resolution, and even if it could, either card will get choppy frame rates at that high of a resolution, and then you wouldent want to play at that resolution. for these midrange cards, 128 is plenty, and they could probably do with 64. but you get my point.

I'm telling you agian. from what i can see and the research i did in the last hour, the nvidia gefore fx5500 is the better buy. more power, and cheaper. Plus you get to watch the nvidia demos including the faries!!!

http://www.nzone.com...ndemo_home.html

i know its not right to copy matierial off of other websites, but here is a graph i found showing 3d mark 03 scores:

Posted Image

my opinion: get the nvidia geforce fx5500

p.s. i'm trying not to start an nvidia vs ati war here.

hip_notic

hip_notic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
lol thanks that really clears things up and its also cheaper like you said so i guess im goin with gforcefx5500 thanks for all your help

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

ya thanks thats a pretty good card but i was reading the reviews and it says its not that good for fps but thats the main reason i want a graphics card is for some higher fps

let me remind you that you will get probably 5-8 times the performance of your onboard graphics with either of those cards. i had a few small graphics testing executables running on a computer with intel extreme graphics, and got about 25-40 fps, when i put in a geforce fx5600xt, i got from 200-250 fps! seriously.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
glad to help, and i hope you are satisfied with the video card, and newegg.com is the best place to order computer parts from.

hip_notic

hip_notic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ya wow thats amazing right now i get around 20-30 on some inside maps of enemy territory drops to like 8-12 outside thats not playable so hopefully this geforce will boost it up so the game could atleast be played