Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP - cannot log in to computer

• Please log in to reply

Holz

Holz

• Pip
  • 5 posts
man, i am just not having good luck with my computers. first my laptop, which you guys helped me with (i'm still in the process of figuring that one out), and now my desktop!

everything has been working perfectly. last wednesday night, i installed the java 2 platform to work with firefox. it was working fine up until thursday night, and after a weekend away, i come home, flip it on, and it cannot get out of the user log in screen. everything boots up fine up until i choose a log in name, and it freezes! i CAN boot in safe mode, so i went in and tried system restore to a previous date (last wednesday). this time i got past the the user log in, but then it froze after loading my desktop and icons!? i went back into safe mode and unchecked some startup items, and i got through to my desktop again, but then it quickly froze.

any ideas? safe mode definitely works, so i'm guessing it might be something with my startup. although, the last time i tried turning it on, it stopped at the user log in screen again.

oh yeah, i'm using a 3 year old sony vaio desktop, pentium 4, XP SP2.

thanks for the help in advance. i appreciate it.

Edited by Holz, 21 November 2005 - 06:07 PM.

Advertisements