Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Slave Hardrive in Laptops

• Please log in to reply

robert83

robert83

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Can you take one Laptops HDD and make it the slave of another, so that you can format it. Is there hard ware that I need to get?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You probably could, depending on the laptop, but it would be easier to use a floppy or burn the formatting software to a cd and boot from it to run the solftware. In the case of most operating systems now, they have partioning and formatting software on the installation disk, making that procedure unnecessary. If you're reinstalling an OS and it refuses to format the disk there are certainly easier ways of doing it.

What OS are you trying to install.

robert83

robert83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I'm trying to install Microsoft Windows XP Home SP1a

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
is this drive already in a nother computer? if it is you should just have to boot from the cd and use the xp setup utilities to format and set up the drive...there should be no reason for you to format the drive first...if you are wanting to back up data before you format...then y ou could get an external usb enclosure for the drive and use that..

robert83

robert83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I can't reformat with the XP CD. Here's the issue, and maybe I need to start a new string. My laptops BIOS doesn't recognize the HDD properly (I’ll call this laptop -1 and HDD-1 for reference). It reports the primary drive as empty, and at boot up it reports that the “Operating System is Undetected.” If I put the same HDD in my other laptop (laptop-2), it recognizes it properly and I can load XP and run XP on it. If I put the HDD from laptop-2 in laptop-1, it recognizes it in the BIOS, put still reports the “Operating System is Undetected” at boot up. So how can I get my BIOS to recognize the HDD-1 and allow me to load XP?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
well....if the xp instance on hdd1 was installed on laptop 1 then there could be an issue....but if hdd1 was set up in a different machine...then the issue is that xp doesn't like being moved between hardware platforms...(which is why laptop1 will detect hdd2 but not the os)

you could attempt to flash the bios on laptop1 and then reatempt to install hdd1 and the os..

robert83

robert83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
All right, I was thinking that I needed to flash the BIOS, something I've not delt with yet. How do I go about that?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
go to the manufacturer's website and download the newest bios edition..then follow their instructions....(unles you just want to reset the bios..in which case you just take the CMOS batter out of the motherboard for a little while..with the machine off and the main battery out)

robert83

robert83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hardware compnents are my weak point. How can I take the CMOS batter out of the motherboard. I can take the computer apart down to the motherboard, but I don't know what the CMOS batter looks like.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
it looks like a watch battery

robert83

robert83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
ok, back at it this Monday morning. I took the CMOS battery out of the motherboard. It didn't resolve any of the issues. Anything else I can do?