Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC too hot?

• Please log in to reply

qpontiac

qpontiac

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Greetings guys,

I've made the decision to just keep my new PC running constantly, but read about the dangers of overheating.

I have Dual Nvidia 7800 GTX...Here is what Everest says my temps are:

Sensor Properties
Sensor Type ITE IT8712F (ISA 290h)
GPU Sensor Type Driver (NV-DRV)
Motherboard Name Asus P5ND2 Series

Temperatures
Motherboard 62 °C (144 °F)
CPU 57 °C (135 °F)
GPU1: GPU 83 °C (181 °F)
GPU2: GPU 80 °C (176 °F)
Hitachi HDS728080PLA380 58 °C

Cooling Fans
CPU 3924 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.34 V
+3.3 V 3.30 V
+5 V 5.00 V
+12 V 11.84 V
+5 V Standby 5.03 V
VBAT Battery 3.04 V
Debug Info F 2B FF FF
Debug Info T 57 62 35
Debug Info V 54 CE 00 BA B9 00 00 (F7)
[size=1]

I'm a little worried....What can I do about this?

Attached Files

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Basically all you can do is install some chassis fans. If the power supply fan blows air out, the other fan(s) should too, to maximize the amount of cool air flow. You don't need a fan for every opening, you need at least one opening to let air in, or out as the case may be. It also doesn't hurt to have some air over your drives, they don't like heat either. One more point, install them where the noise won't be so troublesome.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
For someone with a rig like yours with 2 of the best video cards, and most likely other performace equiptment, i would recommend liquid cooling if you want to run that thing all day. That will be the best way to cool your computer, and thats the coolest you can get. I have seen complete kits around $200.

qpontiac

qpontiac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
OK,
Thanks for the replies...I am kicking myself for not doing the liquid cool, but since I really don't have enough skills to install a liquid cool system on my own, I'm SOL...

Here is the deal:

The above mentioned temps were actually pretty hot for the system...Through nvtune, I found that my averages are this (keep in mind these are idle)

Mobo: 45c
CPU: 49c
GPU1: 78c
GPU2: 74c
HDD: 52c

Last night placed a room fan directly in front of the PC and it actually cooled down the GPUs by about 5-6 degrees, and the CPU about 7-9 degrees....So I am convinced that I do need more fans.

My case is from Alienware, it is the Area 51 7500, and on the bottom of the case are two small "vents", that is where I pointed the fan to blow into...The side panel of my case also has a fan, and both vid cards have fans also....

So why is it running so hot? I read on nvidia's website that my temps aren't really astronomical, but my main concern is that I am afraid to turn my PC on/off due to the extreme heat changes (if I'm being paranoid about this please let me know), so I want to leave my PC constantly running, but don't want it too hot....

Since I don't know much about this stuff, I'm looking for things that a novice like myself can install....

Tell me if this would help:

1)AzenX Blitztorm System Slot Cooler.....I would place this under my vid cards

And then I was think about doubling up and getting a Ultra 5.25" Bay Freezer with 2 - 60mm Fans

Will this cause more harm than good? should I just try the Blitztorm first?, or am I on the right track to cool my PC down by getting both?

Thanks

Mike

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
almost any placement of fans can be helpfull. but keep in mind, you need cool air intake, and hot air outake. make sure you have a fan blowing air in (perferably in the front of the case, that is not in an area that is congested with wires, not much space like the back of the computer.) at least have some air vents where air can come in. and then have the rest of the fans blowing out. Imagine the path the air will flow, plan a good path, and cool air will come in, run past your components, and run out the other end. If i were you i would really look into one of those kits, thier not too hard to instlall, just follow the instructions. but if you want to save money, just plan the airflow, and dont keep your computer in one of those compartments built into desks. they dont allow much breathing room for the computer.

qpontiac

qpontiac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thank you for the response....
I just purchased the Blitztorm through an ebay retailer for $25 (shipping included)

When you say that I need cool air intake in the front of the PC, could I possibly get a Antec 80mm SmartCool Plus, and just place this on the bottom of the case pointing towards the rear exhaust? This one seems very easy to install as well...

Would this intake fan accomplish what I need?

Thanks again,

Mike

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Even if you just have intake holes in the front, that will do the job. With all the air being fanned out of the case, air will be sucked in automatically. Now that I think of it, a fan may do more worse than good. You see, a fan sucking air into the case could potentially bring in dust. Chances are that if you put a fan in the front of your case, your desk area where the front of your cas is is probably mostly dust free. I once saw on a case modding forum, a guy who made every inch of his computer case all fans. he had the whole front covered with intake fans, and the whole left side and rear coverd with outake fans. I dont think it would be a bad dust problem to have intake fans, but holes may do just as well.