Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help with lost Windows ME file

• Please log in to reply

tlcfromtn

tlcfromtn

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
My wininet.dll file was deleted and I need to know how to get that file back with my Windows ME CD.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello tlcfromtn...

Have a look HERE.

wannabe1

tlcfromtn

tlcfromtn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
That didn't work. I need more specific directions I think. I keep getting- file not found verify that you have selected the correct "Restore from" location. I tried with both cds. I only know the basic things about computers. I am not real sure I am doing everything right. My problems started here if it helps in any way- http://www.geekstogo...60

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Isn't there a virus around that corrupts that file? You might want to check for malware. If there is any I'd say go to the malware forum and do their tests, then ask them to help you get rid of it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Looks like greyknight sent him to us Tyger... :)

Hang on tlcfromtn...I'm trying to round you up a file.... :tazz:

wannabe1

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Looks like greyknight sent him to us Tyger... :tazz:
wannabe1

Sorry, didn't realize that!

Here's a page you can DL it from. It may be zipped.

http://www.nodevice....ll/w/index.html

tlcfromtn

tlcfromtn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
wannabe1, I got that file but I couldn't get it to work. I think I am not doing something right. I'll tell you what I did and you can tell me what I did wrong. When I click download attachment in my email a box comes up with 2 choices, Open with<no application specified> or save this file to disk. I clicked on Open with and then I could choose but I didn't know what to use. So I made a new folder on my desktop and downloaded to that and renamed it. Wasn't exactly sure what you meant by Navigate to C:Windows\System. So I went to Start- Search- For files and folders. I typed in C:Windows\System. A lot of stuff came up but I didn't see the System folder. Then I typed in System folder and searched. I found the system folder, copied and pasted that file like you told me. It didn't ask if I wanted to replace or overwrite the current file. I restarted and nothing happened. And by restarting do you mean Restart or completely shut down? I am using Netscape if that makes a difference.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
tlcfromtn...

Let's try this to verify the file is in the right place...right click on the renamed file (WININET.DLL..the icon for the file should look like the one in the attachment) and click "Copy".

Right click on My Computer and choose "Explore"...right click on the HDD (C:) and choose "Explore"...right click on Windows and choose "Explore"...double click on the System folder and right click on a vacant area in the folder...choose "Paste". You should now be asked if you want to replace or overwrite the current file...choose "Yes".

I'm going to review your posts in malware and see if there is something we are missing...

wannabe1

tlcfromtn

tlcfromtn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
The icon on my desktop doesn't look like that, it looks like a folder. I went ahead and followed your instructions anyway and it didn't ask about replacing or overwriting the current file. I deleted it where I had pasted it since it didn't work.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open the folder on your desktop...is the file I sent you in there?

Advertisements

tlcfromtn

tlcfromtn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
When I open it, it just shows the folder icon.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We need just a file. Click on the file I sent you in the e-mail...when asked whether to open it or save it to disk, choose to save it to disk. At the top of the Save window, there's a drop down menu box...choose Desktop in that menu and click "Save". Does that put the file (WININET.bkk) on the Desktop?

wannabe1

tlcfromtn

tlcfromtn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
It downloaded it but i don't see it on my desktop. Do I need to click launch file?

Edited by tlcfromtn, 22 November 2005 - 02:58 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Look in My Documents...is it in there?

tlcfromtn

tlcfromtn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
There is a folder icon named wininet.bbk