Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

hard disk error!

• Please log in to reply

hyeone

hyeone

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
sorry if this topic has been covered but my computer just crashed and its the worst time possible. i went to boot it up and it brought up a screen titled "American Megatrends"...it gives me a info on my primary master(which says 'Capable but Command Failed), secondary slave/master, etc...
At the bottom it says primary master hard disk error.

im assuming my primary hard disk crashed... is there any way to save it? what should i do now?

any help is appriciated...

hp pentium 4 windows xp cd dvd/r

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
hyeone...

This is not a good sign... :tazz:

Can you enter BIOS setup? (sounds like this is happening before you are given the option, though) Try tapping the F1 key during the boot sequence. If you can get to BIOS, look for a setting to "Halt on all errors" and disable it.

Let us know if you can accomplish this...

wannabe1

hyeone

hyeone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
i couldnt find anything like that. would it be called anything else?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
hyeone...

You were able to enter BIOS setup? Hmmmm...let me boot another machine and see what I can find...

wannabe1

hyeone

hyeone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
black screen comes up after leaving the bios screen....black screen says 'reboot or select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key...it keeps ssaying that over n over again each time i hit a key

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Will it boot to Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key during boot up?

hyeone

hyeone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
i tired...it goes straight to the black screen i talked about before

Edited by hyeone, 21 November 2005 - 10:21 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If your machine uses Phoenix BIOS as both my HP's do, go back into the BIOS and set it to default settings...usually by pressing F5...it should tell you at the bottom of the BIOS screen...save the settings (F10), accept the change, and press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart.

wannabe1

hyeone

hyeone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
already tried that too :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This is not looking good. Is this an older harddrive? Do you have the XP installation cd and is it OEM or Retail?

wannabe1

hyeone

hyeone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
yeah tell me about it. the pc is fairly new. i bought about 2 years ago. i have retail xp cd i can use from my company. i really hate that it has come to this. theres so much stuff i needl...its going to kill me when i have t o restore.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We're not going to format at this point...I want to try to run a repair, but we can try to boot from the cd to do this. Read the rest of my post and then read (and print out if possible) the instructions in the link I provide. If you have any questions, ask them before you begin the procedure.

Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

wannabe1

hyeone

hyeone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
thanks wannabe, ill look into this. ill pick up the xp disk this week and try it out . thanks again for your help. ill keep you updated.

hyeone

hyeone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
well, i lost everything...feels like i lost my soul. it sucks but [bleep] happens...