Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC hangs

• Please log in to reply

stefm

stefm

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi tried reinstalling windows 2000 perfessional on top of my old windows pc hangs on performing final task. I tried removing all cards modems, LAN and sound cards. Tried the installation again the pc hangs at the same place. Please help thank you.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
define final task?

Try removing one stick of ram and seeing if it finishes installation....also, did you start with a blank, unformatted and unpartitioned harddrive.

Sometimes, I find, a harddrive that has been pre-formatted under fat32 gives issues when installing

stefm

stefm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
There is only one peice of ram on the pc, its 256 mb of ram. I tried changing slots and ran memtest passed ok. I am installing windows on top of an old installation of windows 2000. PC stops at (performing final task) section when I run the installation disk. I am able to enter DOS with a shift F10 key. So it does not seem that the pc is not responding. The pc stays on this screen for 4 hours. Thank you.