Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Home Edition, SP2 System Restore

• Please log in to reply

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
I have Windows XP Homne Edition SP2 and IE6, SP2.

Yesterday I installed a musical Elvis Presley screen saver. Started having problems with computer being very slow. I uninstalled it from Add/Remove (also a toolbar it had installed), went to Explore, Windows and deleted it there. Went to reg/edit (with which I am getting familiar) and did not see it. I rebooted, and still computer was pokey. I went to System Restore and tried to restore to November 5, where I had created a restore point and had named it GOOD RESTORE. JOY! JOY! 11-5-05. Computer would not restore it. Then chose November 18, a Registry Mechanic restore point, and computer restored okay.

I do not understand why the November 5 could not be restored. Would it have anything to do with what I named it? Should I disable System Restore, reboot, and enable it again. Appaarently I have some bad restore points in there.

Thanks.
Anna Ruth :woot: :) :tazz: :)

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
FOXYGRANDMA...

I wouldn't disable the System Restore until you make sure that the toolbar was all that got installed on the machine. Many of these downloads and particularly those bundled with toolbars contain malware. I would suggest that you go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Start Here.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself.

Once you are absolutely sure that the machine is clean, disable and re-eanble the System Restore and set a fresh restore point. I don't think the name you gave the restore point had any bearing on the failure...I think Elvis did it! :tazz:

wannabe1

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

FOXYGRANDMA...

I wouldn't disable the System Restore until you make sure that the toolbar was all that got installed on the machine. Many of these downloads and particularly those bundled with toolbars contain malware. I would suggest that you go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Start Here.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself.

Once you are absolutely sure that the machine is clean, disable and re-eanble the System Restore and set a fresh restore point. I don't think the name you gave the restore point had any bearing on the failure...I think Elvis did it! :tazz:

wannabe1

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Thank you, wannabe. I will do that this evening. Have to scoot for various appointments. I did fail to mention (sorry!) that I do, and did, run Ad-Aware SE Personal, Hijackguard, Malicious software removal, Microsoft antispyware, Spybot search and destroy, and Spyware doctor, and they did not find anything (this was before I did the Restore). My anti-virus is AVG free edition. I was running McAffee, but uninstalled it and got the AVG, which I like better.

Thanks again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
FOXYGRANDMA...

Looks like you practice very good security on your machine...good job! AVG is a good choice...way less of a resource hog than McAfee. There are a few tools in the Start Here page that look for other things, though, so it would still be a good idea to visit. :tazz:

wannabe1

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

FOXYGRANDMA...

Looks like you practice very good security on your machine...good job! AVG is a good choice...way less of a resource hog than McAfee. There are a few tools in the Start Here page that look for other things, though, so it would still be a good idea to visit. :tazz:

wannabe1

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Thanks again, wannabe. I try to practice good security habits, but still that does not always help me. This computer was a birthday gift to me this past March, and I have had more problems with it. Windows has had to be re-installed three times, plus all the restore points that have been done to it. It has really been confusing to my 70-year-old brain. :)

Well, anyway, got online too late to go to Hijack this. Busy day and I am weary. Will print info (hard copy easier for me to work with) and get to it tomorrow evening.

Hope y'all (that is, all of you on here) have a very nice Thanksgiving!

I tried to attach a Microsoft Word Thanksgiving letter I had made, with some pretty pictures including mine), but when I went to Preview, I got a message it was too big. :tazz:

Thanks again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You have a Happy Thanksgiving, too, FOXYGRANDMA. :tazz:

wannabe1