Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tried way beyond XP fix It for my 16 bit error

• Please log in to reply

Classy2

Classy2

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
This 16 bit application from win 3.1 and has every phone number need! Before I had your expert help I used to restore my computer when things became unsable. And XP FIX IT used to help. This time I used "Winsock" to get me back online. I had one of your Experts on here helped me with removing my malware.
I have worked for weeks on getting my 16 bit rollex card working again. And this has been my experience;

"16 bit Windows Subsystem;
C:\DOCUM~1\Cuddles\LOCALS~1\Temp\. A temporary file needed for initialization could not be created or could be written to. Make sure that the directory exists, and disk space is available."
Listed are my files which are missing;
1. "Local Settings", 2. Application Data, 3. Temp, 4. tmp
(IM NOT SURE IF THESE MISSING FILES HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH MY PROBLEM)??

I recieved a new error when I installed Sygate firewall. The error said something like; " C;\WINDOWS\system32\AUTOEXEC.NT could not be opened. Please check
that your disk is not full and that you have access to the destination
directory. Access denied. The site told me to drag autoexec.nt from windows "repair" to System 32. I tried clicking on my application when this next error said; Config.exe was blocked and the next & Command.com was blocked.
This was supposed to fix any missing files or replace corrupted ones,and all three files need to be need to be "read" me files, in order for a 16 bit program to work. I checked them all but my it DID NOT help.
If you would please help on what to do next.
Did you ever hear of two files that are supposed let 16 bit programs run in thier envirnoment? The files are called,C: C:\ ntvdm.exe which turns into-- wowexec. I have this link that talks about it-----http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305521
Do you have any idea how to use this file?
Any help would be appreciated because I feel I have exhausted my searching and my knowledge in this area.
Warmly,
Classy

Advertisements

mdoc

mdoc

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
This will answer the last part of your post.
http://www.microsoft.../spot16bit.mspx

Beyond this i cannot help; I can only suggest you use 32-bit apps and not 16-bit.

Classy2

Classy2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
I think its geting to the spot where enough programs are running correctly so I will do a System Restore from my restore disks.
Can you help me by telling me how to do a Custom Restore? This option is always dimmed out and I do not know why.
Thank you,
Classy