Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems after using dual monitors

• Please log in to reply

neil

neil

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi,

I work both from my office and from home using a laptop running Windows XP professional. In the office I have a monitor which I connect and 'extend' the desktop into using the display settings. The problem I have is that now I am home and when I open a piece of software (JMP statistics) I see it open in the taskbar and then 'zoom out' to where the second monitor was. I can't get at the window to move it back on to my screen as the mouse pointer can't leave my monitor. Hard to explain, I hope you know what I mean :tazz: !

How do I make all the programs realise that there is no second monitor connected? In the display setting the second monitor is disabled. This only seems to happen with slightly different software packages, so far JMP statistics and QuickZip.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I am not back in the office until Monday and I would really need to use the software that is "trapped" on the second monitor!

Thanks!
/neil

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what kind of video card is in the laptop?

also...just as a question....are those two programs...used exclusively on the second monitor when y ou run them? like..at the office...you open those programs and push them over to the second monitor...and leave them there all day...and close them while they are still over there?

neil

neil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi,

I'm have a ATI Mobility Radeon X600 as my adapter.

I think your second comment is the problem, I closed the programs while they were still on the second monitor, I guess if I moved them back to the primary monitor before I closed them I could avaoid the problem! Like I said it seems to be the less common programs that I have a problem with not Word etc.

Anyway it looks like I have managed to solve the problem for now :tazz: If I run the program maximised then it appears in the primary monitor, if I have it as a window then it zooms off back to the second monitor (which isn't there!).

So it seems that the solution is to make sure I remember to move strange software back to the primary monitor before closing them.

Thanks anyway for the help!

/neil

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sounds like a plan.....dual monitor systems can be funky.....they assign odd properties to things..that you wouldn't expect would matter..