Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Sysyytem Restore to replace files?

• Please log in to reply

Classy2

Classy2

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Ever since I used Winsock to get back on the internet, my computer has been messed up.
My windows installer is popping up for an unknown reason. My downloads on firefox and IE isnt downloading correctly. No mater what I tried I cant get my 16 bit cardfile to work. XP FIX IT just isnt fixing it.
Can you suggest some things to do before I go drastic.
Classy

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if you have your windows xp cd you can do a repair install of the operating system.

Boot up with the XP CD in the drive and let Setup run. Go past the "C" and "R" repair options by presssing Enter just as if you're doing a clean install and you'll eventually get an option to "Repair an existing installation". That's the one you want. If it asks about formatting you've gone wrong, so start over.

You'll get to keep your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP2, Windows Updates & any unsigned drivers afterwards. NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall, whether the built in Windows one or 3rd party.

How to Perform A Re-Install Of XP
Repair XP

Classy2

Classy2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
I only have Restore CD and the Custom Restore is always dimmed out the (4 times) I did a Restore. Id press button " R" to get into restoring.
I do not have XP on CDs.
Warmly,
Classy

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Honestly, it sounds like this system is so badly hoarked up that you are better off backing up data and using the RESTORE disk to get back to square 1

Classy2

Classy2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Thank you Gerryf, The verification of the truth is very upsetting. But at least I have time to back up all thats important to me.
One more very important bquestion please....In all times Ive done System Restore, can you tell me if its possible to choose what proms I want installed/ Remember, I told the custom Restore was dimmed, was it because I pushed the "R" button instead of another?
warmly,
Classy

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
without seeing it, no. Most restore CDs are disk images--meaning you are not iI would say most installing windows, but copying an image of a windows installation to the drive.

This idea is confusing to many, but think of it as taking a picture of your harddrive when it was first installed> as you install programs, you add to the picture, but if you use a restore disk, you throw out the edited picture and put the original back, ready to be drawn on again.

Again, this is MOST.

The CUSTOM option on system restores that I have seen have enabled varying degrees of customizability, notably restoring the windows portion of an instalation but leaving data intact. Cannnot recall an instance where one let me add or not add programs.

Classy2

Classy2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Hi Gerryf,
I like to keep my hard drive and my startup files down to only what I use. I feel I have a right to control applications and accessories out of my computer.
Well im putting off coping tons of pictures onto a disk. But pictures should have been szaved on a disk in the first place. Thats my tenage son, likes to use MY computer but just barely up keeps it.
Thank you again,
Classy

Classy2

Classy2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Gerryf, I found the answer to my I/O Error 1500(Another program is in the process of downloading) ckeck it out HERE
I also found a more assured way to Reinstall Windows Installer manually, SEE HERE!
This means my sons slide show he made for me can stay unremoved; sigh of relief.
I was wondering if you will consider suporting me or can find the time; to explaining tech into understandable language.
Im a night person, can think better in quiet of ny nights,
Classy

Classy2

Classy2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Gerryf, Are you the one who took a look at my Hijacked Log? Because it just hit my thoughts that you said, Quote "this system is so badly hoarked".
And I didnt hear about it. Was it so badly infested that it was deleted immediately,lol
With patience and respect,
Classy